The Stone Crabs were unable to contain the Bradenton Marauders powerful offensive attack as they fell 9-3 on Friday night at Charlotte Sports Park.
The Stone Crabs struck first by scoring in the opening frame. Jake Cronenworth singled to right to lead off the inning. He stole second to move into scoring position. Cronenworth would score on an RBI double by Kevin Padlo to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
The Marauders struck for three runs in the fourth to grab the lead. A bases loaded line drive by Jordan George pushed across three runners to give Bradenton a 3-1 lead.
Both clubs exchanged runs in the sixth inning. It was an RBI single by George in the top of the inning that gave the Marauders a run. In the bottom of the inning Brett Sullivan tripled to right and then scored on a sac fly by Ryan Boldt to make it 4-2.
Bradenton added a pair of runs in the seventh on a two run triple by Cole Tucker to increase their lead to 6-2.
The Stone Crabs pushed across their final run of the vening in the bottom of the seventh. Dalton Kelly reached on a force out and then scored on an RBI double by Sullivan to cut the lead in half 6-3.
The Marauders weren’t done as they pushed across three more runs in the ninth to hand the Stone Crabs the loss.
Blake Bivens suffered the loss for the Stone Crabs while Bret Helton earned the win for Bradenton.
The four game series now shifts to LECOM Field in Bradenton for the remaining two games. Jose Mujica will get the start for the Stone Crabs against Mitch Keller for Bradenton. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30.
- Jake Cronenworth (SS): 2 for 4 with a walk and run scored
- Dalton Kelly (1B): 0 for 5 with a run scored
- Brett Sullivan (C): 2 for 5 with a double, triple and run scored
- Kevin Padlo (3B): 1 for 3 with a double, RBI
- Ryan Boldt (RF): 1 for 2 with a double
- David Rodriguez (DH): 0 for 3
- David Olmedo-Barrera (LF): 1 for 4 with a double
- Peter Maris (2B): 1 for 3
- Angel Moreno (CF): 0 for 4
- Blake Bivens (Loss, 0-1): 3 runs on 5 hits with 7 strikeouts and 2 walks in 5 innings
- Brandon Lawson: 3 runs on 4 hits with a strikeout and 2 walks in 1 2/3 innings
- Tyler Brashears: 3 runs on 3 hits with 5 strikeotus and 2 walks in 2 1/3 innings