After winning the first two games of the series, the Stone Crabs had to settle for a series split against the Daytona Tortugas after losing the series finale 9-2 on Monday night at Jackie Robinson Ballpark. The Stone Crabs had difficulty containing the Daytona offense as a big fifth inning squashed any chances of the Stone Crabs taking the finale.
The Tortugas struck first off the rehabbing Ray Alex Cobb. Yorman Rodriguez led off the bottom of the first with a walk. He would later score on a double by Gavin LaValley to give the Tortugas a 1-0 lead.
Daytona extended their lead in the fourth inning on a solo home run by Aristides Aquino, his third of the series to make it 2-0.
But things really got ugly in the fifth inning when Daytona struck for five runs to put the game out of reach. When the dust settled, the Stone Crabs were staring up at a seven run deficit.
The Stone Crabs picked up a pair of runs in the sixth to avoid being shut-out. Riley Unroe got things started with a single to right. He scored on a single by Joe McCarthy. McCarthy later scored on an RBI single by Mac James to make it 7-2.
Daytona quickly countered those runs by adding a run in the bottom of the sixth and another in the seventh to hand the Stone Crabs the 9-2 loss.
Cobb suffered the loss and is now 0-2 in his rehab appearances with the Stone Crabs. Wendolyn Bautista was the winning pitcher for Daytona.
The Stone Crabs will have a day off on Tuesday before returning to action on Wednesday night as they open a four game series against the Lakeland Flying Tigers at Charlotte Sports Park.
- Riley Unroe (2B): 2 for 4 with a run scored
- Joe McCarthy (LF): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Mac James (C): 1 for 4 with an RBI
- Alec Sole (SS): 0 for 2
- Grant Kay (1B): 2 for 4
- Jace Conrad (RF): 1 for 3
- Cristian Toribio (DH): 2 for 4
- Thomas Milone (CF): 0 for 3
- Matt Eureste (3B): 2 for 3 with a double
- Alex Cobb (Loss, 0-2): 1 run on 2 hits with 1 strikeout and 1 walk in 1 inning
- Benton Moss: 7 runs, 5 earned on 9 hits with 3 strikeouts in 5 innings
- Ian Gibaut: 1 run on 2 hits in 2 innings pitched