The GCL Rays push their winning streak to six games as they cruised to a 9-2 win over the GCL Red Sox on Tuesday afternoon at JetBlue Park. The Rays jumped out to a commanding lead by the second inning and never looked back.
Vidal Brujan led off the game with a double to left. He then scored on an RBI single by Jesus Sanchez. Sanchez would later score on a sac fly by Jose Tonton to give the Rays a 2-0 lead.
The Rays increased their lead in the second. Michael Brosseau scored on an error for the first run of the inning. Two more runs came on a double to center by Jonathon Arrowood. Arrowood then scored on a single by Tonton to extend the lead to 6-0.
Both clubs exchanged scoreless innings until the bottom of the eighth when the Red Sox pushed across their first run of the afternoon. An RBI single by Raiwinson Lameda scored Rafael Oliveras to make it 6-1.
The Rays answered with three runs of their own in the ninth inning. A single by Tonton and a walk by Josh Lowe set the table for Juan Carlos Arias who took an offering deep to left for a three run homer to increase the lead to 9-1.
The Red Sox added one more run in the ninth on an RBI single by Chad Hardy. But it was too little, too late as the Rays cruised to their sixth straight win.
Eduard Rosillo picked up the win for the Rays to improve to 2-0. Tyler House notched his first pro save. Jhonathan Diaz was the losing pitcher for the Red Sox.
The series shifts to Port Charlotte on Wednesday afternoon with first pitch scheduled for noon.
- Vidal Brujan (2B): 2 for 5 with a double and a run scored
- Jesus Sanchez (RF): 2 for 5 with an RBI and 2 runs scored
- Rene Pinto (C): 2 for 5 with a run scored
- Jonathon Arrowood (1B): 2 for 4 with a double, 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Jose Tonton (CF): 2 for 4 with 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Josh Lowe (3B): 0 for 2 with 3 walk and a run scored
- Juan Carlos Arias (DH): 2 for 5 with a 3 run homer
- Moises Gomez (LF): 0 for 5
- Michael Brosseau (SS): 2 for 4 with a walk and a run scored
- Eduard Rosillo (Win, 2-0): 5 scoreless innings with 5 strikeouts and 2 walks
- Kevin Williams: 1 runs on 6 hits in 2 1/3 innings
- Tyler House (Save, 1): 1 run on 2 hits with 2 strikeouts in 1 2/3 innings