The Stone Crabs came out to Jackie Robinson Ballpark on Sunday looking to win their third straight against the Daytona Tortugas. However a big sixth inning from the home team sent the Stone Crabs back to the hotel with a 10- loss.
The Stone Crabs jumped out to an early lead in the third inning. Cristian Toribio opened the frame with a line drive single to right. He later scored on an RBI single by Joe McCarthy to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
But the Tortugas quickly recovered to tie the game in the bottom of the third. Jonathan Reynoso delivered a two-out single to center. From there, things got sloppy for the Stone Crabs. Reynoso was leading off first when catcher Armando Araiza threw down to first, but Reynoso had already broke from second. After being hit twice on the bases, Reynoso came all the way around to score and tie the game.
The game would stay tied until the bottom of the sixth inning when the Daytona offense would rough up the Stone Crabs. They sent twelve batters to the plate in the inning, resulting in seven hits and eight runs to take a commanding 9-1 lead.
Daytona would push across one more run in the bottom of the eighth to hand the Stone Crabs the 10-1 loss.
Chris Pike suffered the loss for the Stone Crabs. Tejay Antone was the winning pitcher for Daytona.
The Stone Crabs send Alex Cobb to the mound for his second rehab start in the series finale against Wendolyn Bautista (2-0, 1.33) for Daytona.
- Jace Conrad (RF): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Joe McCarthy (LF): 2 for 3 and a walk
- Grant Kay (1B): 0 for 4
- Justin Williams (DH): 1 for 4
- Armando Araiza (C): 0 for 4
- Alec Sole (SS): 0 for 3
- Cristian Toribio (3B): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Thomas Milone (CF): 0 for 2
- Matt Eureste (2B): 0 for 3
- Chris Pike (Loss, 3-7): 8 runs, 3 earned on 7 hits with 2 strikeouts and 3 walks in 5 2/3 innings
- Jose Alvarado: 2 runs on 2 hits with 3 strikeouts and 3 walks in 2 1/3 innings