The Stone Crabs fought hard all game long as they topped one of the FSL’s hottest teams. The Stone Crabs strung together 14 hits to win the series opener against the Daytona Tortugas 7-5 on Friday night.
The Stone Crabs jumped out to an early lead by scoring in the first inning. Riley Unroe opened up the game with a single to right. He moved to third following a double by Joe McCarthy. Justin Williams plated Unroe with a ground out to first. McCarthy later scored on a line drive by Jace Conrad to give the Stone Crabs a 2-0 lead.
The Tortugas cut the lead in half in the bottom of the first. Yorman Rodriguez singled to right and later scored on a sac fly by Gavin LaValley to make it 2-1.
The Stone Crabs increased their lead in the fourth inning. Thomas Milone drew a walk to lead off the inning. Milone stole second and later scored on a bunt by Unroe. Unroe didn’t stay on the bases lon as he scored on an RBI single by McCarthy. McCarthy would steal second and later scored on a single by Justin Williams to increase the lead to 5-1.
The Stone Crabs would pick up a pair of runs in the sixth. An RBI single by Williams scored Grant Kay. Then later in the inning, Armando Araiza drove home Mac James to make it 7-1.
Daytona picked up a run in the bottom of the sixth. Ty Washington doubled to second and later scored on an error to make it 7-2.
The Tortugas mounted a late game rally, picking up three runs in the final two frames. An RBI double by Angelo Gumbs plated a run in the eighth. Then a two run homer by Aristides Aquino in the ninth pulled the Tortugas to within two runs of the lead. But the Stone Crabs rallied to end the threat and take the series opener 7-5.
Henry Centeno picked up the win, improving to 3-2 on the season. Jeff Howell notched the save. Jake Paulson was the losing pitcher for Daytona.
The series continues on Saturday at Jackie Robinson Ballpark. Greg Harris (6-5, 3.10) will get the start for the Stone Crabs against Ismael Guillon (3-2, 2.98) for Daytona.
- Riley Unroe (2B): 1 for 4 with 3 runs scored
- Joe McCarthy (1): 4 for 4 with a double, RBI and 2 runs scored
- Grant Kay (SS): 1 for 5 with a run scored
- Justin Williams (RF): 2 for 5 with 2 RBI’s
- Mac James (DH): 3 for 4 with a walk, RBI and run scored
- Jace Conrad (LF): 2 for 4
- Armando Araiza (C): 1 for 5 with an RBI
- Cristian Toribio (3B): 0 for 5
- Thomas Milone (CF): 0 for 4 with a walk and a run scored
- Henry Centeno (Win, 3-2): 1 run on 5 hits with 3 strikeouts and 3 walks in 5 innings
- Diego Castillo: 1 unearned run on 4 hits with a strikeout in 2 innings
- Nick Sawyer: 3 runs on 2 hits and 3 walk with 2 strikeouts in 1 1/3 innings
- Jeff Howell (Save, 1): 2/3 no-hit inning