The GCL Rays got an assist from Mother Nature today as they defeated the GCL Orioles 7-6 in a rain shortened contest at Charlotte Sports Complex. Both offenses were throwing runs on the scoreboard before the skies opened forcing the game to be completed early in the top of the seventh.
The Rays jumped out to an early lead by scoring a pair of runs in the opening frame. Vidal Brujan was hit by a pitch to lead off the inning. Jesus Sanchez followed with a single to left. Both runners would score on an RBI single by Rene Pinto to give the Rays the lead.
But the Orioles answered in the second with a three run inning to grab the lead. The Orioles loaded the bases for Alfredo Gonzalez who delivered a single to center that scored Garrett Copeland and Jaime Estrada. Gui Yuan Xu later scored on a passed ball to give the Orioles a 3-2 lead.
The Rays bounced back to tie the game in the third. Sanchez delivered a leadoff triple to left. He later scored on an RBI single by Chris Betts to tie the game.
The Orioles took back the lead in the fourth. A sac fly by Xu scored Copeland to put the Orioles back out in front 4-3.
The Rays wasted no time taking the lead back, posting four runs in the bottom of the fourth. Michael Brosseau drew a walk and Brujan was hit by a pitch to put two runners on the bases. Then Sanchez delivered his second triple of the game to drive both runners home. Pinto cleared the bases with a homer to put the Rays in front 7-4.
The Orioles pulled to within a run of the lead in the sixth. Copeland led off the inning with a homer to left. Then an RBI single by Jake Ring made it 7-6.
The Orioles threatened in the top of the seventh, but the weather set in before any damage was done, giving the Rays the 7-6 win.
Tyler House picked up the win in his professional debut. Austin Sweet notched the save. Juan Echevarria was the losing pitcher for the Orioles.
The Rays are off on Sunday.
- Vidal Brujan (2B): 0 for 2 with 2 runs scored
- Jesus Sanchez (CF): 3 for 4 with 3 triples, 2 RBI’s and 3 runs scored
- Rene Pinto (C): 2 for 4 with a home run, 4 RBI’s and 1 run scored
- Chris Betts (DH): 1 for 2 with an RBI
- Jose Tonton (LF): 1 for 4
- Josh Lowe (3B): 0 for 3
- Jonathon Arrowood (1B): 0 for 3
- Yerson Santana (RF): 0 for 2
- Moises Gomez (RF): defensive sub
- Michael Brosseau (SS): 1 for 2 with a walk and a run scored
- Thomas Lebron: 4 runs on 5 hits with 3 strikeouts and 2 walks in 3 innings
- Tyler House (Win, 1-0): 2 runs on 4 hits with 2 strikeouts and 1 walk in 2 1/3 innings
- Angel Rodriguez (Hold, 1): 2/3 scoreless inning with 2 hits
- Austin Sweet (Save, 1): 1 scoreless inning with 2 hits and 3 strikeouts