The Stone Crabs found themselves on the losing side of a 2-1 pitching duel against the Palm Beach Cardinals on Thursday night at Charlotte Sports Park. The game clocked in at an hour and fifty two minutes, tying it for the shortest game in franchise history.
The game got underway with Grayson Garvin on the hill making a five inning rehab appearance. He set the pace for the game, striking out the side in the first on just 13 pitches.
Palm Beach broke the scoreless tie in the third inning as Orlando Olivera delivered a solo home run to left to give the Cardinals a 1-0 lead.
The Cardinals would strike again in the sixth inning. Oscar Mercado led off the inning with a single to center. He would later score on an RBI single by Thomas Spitz to make it 2-0 Cardinals.
The Stone Crabs would get on the board in the eighth. Grant Kay went deep to left for his team leading seventh homer. But it wasn’t enough as the Stone Crabs fell 2-1.
Garvin suffered the loss for the Stone Crabs. Matt Pearce went the distance for Palm Beach, tossing a complete game and picking up the win.
The Stone Crabs (7-7) head to Daytona for a four game series against the north division leading Daytona Tortugas (9-3) at Jackie Robinson Ballpark. Henry Centeno (2-2, 2.52) will get the start against Jake Paulson (0-4, 6.51) in the series opener on Friday .
- Riley Unroe (2B): 1 for 4
- Joe McCarthy (LF): 0 for 3
- Mac James (C): 0 for 3
- Justin Williams (DH): 1 for 3
- Alec Sole (SS): 0 for 3
- Grant Kay (1B): 1 for 3 with a home run
- Jace Conrad (RF): 0 for 3
- Cristian Toribio (3B): 0 for 3
- Thomas Milone (CF): 0 for 3
- Grayson Garvin (Loss, 0-1): 1 run on 2 hits with 3 strikeouts and a walk in 5 innings
- Ian Gibaut: 1 run on 4 hits with 2 strikeouts and a walk in 3 innings
- Mike Franco: 1 no-hit inning with a stikeout and a walk