For the second straight afternoon, the GCL Rays offense stole the show as they defeated the GCL Orioles 10-4 on Friday afternoon on the backfields at Ed Smith Stadium. The offense was powered by Jonathon Arrowood who had a big day at the dish, going 4 for 5 with 2 doubles and 3 RBI’s.
The Rays jumped out to an early lead in the first inning. Jesus Sanchez took an offering deep to right for his first home run of the year to give the Rays a 1-0 lead.
The Rays broke the game open in the top of the third. With runners on first and second, Granden Goetzman delivered an RBI single to score Deion Tansel. Then Chris Betts followed with a two run triple to center, scoring Vidal Brujan and Goetzman. Betts later scored on an RBI single by Rene Pinto to increase the lead to 5-0.
The Rays added a pair of runs an inning later. Moises Gomez led off the inning with a single to center. He then scored on a ground-rule double by Arrowood. Later in the inning Sanchez doubled home a run to make it 7-0.
The Orioles were held scoreless until the bottom of the fourth when a sac fly by Garrett Copeland drove home Tristan Graham to give the O’s their first run of the afternoon.
The Rays picked up two more runs in the top of the fifth. With runners on the corners, Arrowood delivered his second double of the game to score Pinto and Gomez to increase the lead to 9-1.
The Orioles countered with a three run inning in the bottom of the fifth. Graham, Seamus Curran and Copeland all collected RBI;s to make it 9-4.
The Rays collected one more run in the top of the ninth on an RBI single by Tansel to help steer the Rays to the 10-4 win.
Anthony Parente picked up his first professional win for the Rays. Samuel Deduno was the losing pitcher for the Orioles.
The series concludes on Saturday at Charlotte Sports Park.
- Vidal Brujan (2B): 0 for 5 with 2 runs scored
- Jesus Sanchez (CF): 5 for 5 with a double, home runs, 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Jose Tonton (RF): 0 for 1
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 1 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored
- Chris Betts (C): 1 for 3 with a triple, 3 RBI’s and a run scored
- Alexander Alvarez (PH-C): 1 for 2
- Rene Pinto (DH): 1 for 3 with an RBI and a run scored
- Josh Lowe (3B): 0 for 5
- Moises Gomez (RF-CF): 2 for 5 with a double and 3 runs scored
- Jonathon Arrowood (1B): 4 for 5 with 2 doubles and 3 RBI’s
- Deion Tensel (SS): 1 for 5 with an RBI and a run scored
- Eric Diomartich: 1 run on 3 hits with a strikeout and 2 walks in 4 innings
- Jesus Ortiz: 3 runs on 4 hits in 1/3 inning
- Anthony Parente (Win, 1-1): 2 2/3 scoreless frames with 2 hits
- Bryce Zak: 2 scoreless innings with 2 hits, 2 strikeouts and a walk