The Stone Crabs sent MLB starter Alex Cobb to the hill for a rehab start but that wasn’t enough to hold the Bradenton Marauders offense in check as they defeated the Stone Crabs 7-2 on Wednesday night at Charlotte Sports Park. They tagged Cobb for 3 runs in 2/3 innings to take the lead and never looked back the remainder of the night.
Cobb walked Tito Polo and Elias Diaz to put two runners on the bases. Polo then scored on an RBI single by Kevin Kramer to put the Marauders on the board. A two run double by Jordan Luplow would then make it 3-0.
The Marauders picked up three more runs in the second. Pablo Reyes singled to left and later scored on an RBI single by Polo. Diaz then collected his second walk of the night to put runners on first and second. They wouldn’t remain there long as both runners would score on an RBI single by Jerrick Suiter to increase the lead to 6-0.
The Marauders offense wasn’t done yet as they pushed across a lone run in the fourth on a solo home run by Polo to give them a commanding 7-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs threatened in the sixth as Joe McCarthy delivered a one out triple to put a run just ninety feet from home. But both following hitters struck out to end the threat and strand McCarthy on third.
The Stone Crabs avoided the shut-out by pushing across a pair of runs in the bottom of the ninth. Justin Williams singled to lead off the inning and Mac James reached on an error to put runners on the corners with no outs. Williams scored on an RBI single by Grant Kay and James came home on a ground ball by Thomas Milone. But the deficit was too big to overcome as the Stone Crabs fell 7-2.
Cobb was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs. Stephen Tarpley was the winning pitcher for Bradenton.
The Stone Crabs welcome the Palm Beach Cardinals to Charlotte Sports Park for a rare single game series. Henry Centeno (2-2, 2.52) will get the ball for the Stone Crabs opposite Matt Pearce (7-5, 2.58) for Palm Beach.
- Riley Unroe (2B): 1 for 4 with a double
- Joe McCarthy (LF): 1 for 4 with a triple
- Alec Sole (SS): 1 for 4
- Justin Williams (RF): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Mac James (DH): 2 for 4 with a run scored
- Grant Kay (1B): 1 for 3 with an RBI
- Armando Araiza (C): 1 for 4
- Bralin Jackson (CF): drew a walk, left the game in the sixth with an ankle injury
- Thomas Milone (CF): 0 for 3
- Cristian Toribio (3B): 0 for 4
- Alex Cobb (Loss, 0-1): 3 runs on 2 hits and 2 walks in 2/3 inning
- Nick Sawyer: 3 runs on 3 hits with a walk in 1 1/3 innings
- Benton Moss: 1 run on 5 hits with 7 strikeouts and 2 walks in 5 1/3 innings
- Jeff Howell: 1 2/3 scoreless frames with 1 hit, 2 strikeouts and a walk