The GCL Rays offense was about as hot as the Florida heat as they cruised to a 7-1 win over the GCL Twins on Thursday afternoon at Charlotte Sports Complex. Every member of the Rays offense reached base in the contest as the Rays recorded a season high 16 hits. While the offense was getting it done, the Rays bullpen did their part as they combined for 4 no-hit innings to ensure the win.
The Twins jumped out to an early lead by scoring in the second inning. A sac fly by Lean Marrero scored Zach Featherstone to give the Twins a 1-0 lead. But that would be it for the Twins as the Rays hit the gas from that point forward.
The Rays took advantage of a trio of error to grab the lead in the third. Deion Tansel singled to right to lead off the inning. Vidal Brujan reached on an error to put runners on the corners. Then Tansel scored on an errant pick-off which tied the game and moved Brujan to third. Granden Goetzman put the Stone Crabs in front with an RBI single to score Brujan. Chris Betts then reached on an error to put runners at second and third. Both runners would later score on an RBI single by Moises Gomez to put the Rays in front 4-1.
The Rays got another run in the fourth inning as Jonathon Arrowood connected for his first professional homer to extend the lead to 5-1.
But the Rays offense wasn’t done yet as they pushed across a pair of runs in the eighth. Jose Tonton drove home two runners with a single to right to give the Rays the 7-1 margin of victory.
Jesus Ortiz picked up his first win of the season for the Ray. Bo Hellquist suffered the loss for the Twins.
The Rays will open a two game series with the GCL Orioles with game one taking place in Sarasota on Friday.
- Vidal Brujan (2B): 1 for 4 with a run
- Jesus Sanchez (CF): 1 for 4
- Granden Goetzman (DH): 3 for 4 with a run scored
- Chris Betts (C): 0 for 4 with a run scored
- Moises Gomez (LF): 2 for 4 with 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Juan Carlos Arias (3B): 2 for 4 with a run scored
- Jose Tonton (RF): 2 for 3 with 2 RBI’s
- Jonathon Arrowood (1B): 2 for 4 with a home run
- Deion Tansel (SS): 2 for 4 with a run scored
- Jesus Ortiz (Win, 1-1): 1 run on 4 hits with 2 strikeouts and 2 walks in 5 innings
- Kevin Williams: 2 no-hit innings with 2 strikeouts and a walk
- Jayson McKinley: 2 no-hit innings with 3 strikeouts