Despite outhitting their opponent, the GCL Rays could not find a way to pull off the win as they fell to the GCL Twins 4-2 on Wednesday afternoon in Fort Myers. Both teams were held scoreless through the first five innings.
The Twins broke the scoreless tie by scoring the sixth inning. With runners on the corner, Gorge Munoz singled to left. Lean Marrero and Dane Hutcheson both scored on the play to give the Twins a 2-0 lead.
The Twins got two more in the seventh on a solo homer by Tyree Davis and an RBI ground out by Hutcheson to make it 4-0.
The Rays got on the board on the eighth inning. Rene Pinto singled to left to put a runner on the bases. Gilbert Marrero reached on an error and Ryan Caldwell followed with a walk to load the bases. Pinto scored on a wild pitch. But the next two hitters grounded out to end the inning and strand two runners for the Rays.
The Rays added another run in the ninth. Granden Goetzman reached on an error to lead off the frame. He advanced to third on a single by Matt Eureste to give the Rays a runner on third with no outs. Goetzman scored on a single by Juan Carlos Arias. But just like the last inning, the Rays would strand the remaining two runners as they settled for just one run and the 4-2 loss.
The series concludes on Thursday in Port Charlotte.
- Jesus Sanchez (CF): 1 for 4
- Michael Brosseau (2B): 1 for 4
- Granden Goetzman (RF): 0 for 4 with a run scored
- Matt Eureste (SS): 1 for 4
- Juan Carlos Arias (DH): 1 for 4 with an RBI
- Moises Gomez (PR-DH): pinch ran for Arias in the ninth
- Josh Lowe (3B): 0 for 4
- Rene Pinto (C): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Gibert Marrero (1B): 1 for 3
- Jonathon Arrowood (PH): 0 for 1
- Ryan Caldwell (LF): 0 for 2 with a walk
- Eduard Rosillo: 5 scoreless innings with a hit, 6 strikeouts and 2 walks
- Matt Vogel (Loss. 01): 4 runs on 3 hits with 3 walks and 2 strikeouts
- Joe Graziano: 1 2/3 no-hit innings with 2 walks