Even with big league talent in the lineup, the Stone Crabs couldn’t contain the hottest team in the FSL as they were crushed by the Clearwater Threshers 12-2 on Tuesday night at Charlotte Sports Park.
The Stone Crabs got two scoreless innings out of Andrew Bellatti who was rehabbing with the Stone Crabs after being on the Rays DL with shoulder injury. After two innings of work he turned the mound over to FSL Pitcher of the Week Chris Kirsch.
Clearwater would score their first run of the night in the third inning on a solo home run by Devin Lohman to give them a 1-0 lead.
The Threshers would then strike for an 11-run sixth inning to take a commanding lead. They would send thirteen hitters to the plate with the highlight of the inning being a grand slam off the bat of Andrew Pullin to give them a 12-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs avoided the shut-out by scoring in the eighth. Mike Marjama went deep to left with a two run shot to make it 12-2.
But the deficit was too big to overcome as the Stone Crabs fell 12-2.
Chris Kirsch suffered the loss for the Stone Crabs. David Whitehead was the winning pitcher for Clearwater.
The Stone Crabs now head to historic McKechnie Field for a three game series against the Bradenton Marauders starting on Wednesday. Another Rays rehabber will be on the hill again as Jake Odorizzi (0-0, 0.00) gets the start against Frank Duncan (4-3, 5.40) for Bradenton.
- John Jaso (1B): 0 for 3
- Casey Gillaspie (1B): 0 for 1
- James Loney (DH): 1 for 4
- Jace Conrad (3B): 0 for 4
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 0 for 3
- Kean Wong (2B): 2 for 3
- Pat Blair (SS): 0 for 3 with a run scored
- Armando Araiza (C): 1 for 2
- Mike Marjama (C): 1 for 1 with a 2 run homer
- Braxton Lee (CF): 0 for 3
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 0 for 2 with a walk
- Andrew Bellatti: 2 scoreless innings with 2 hits
- Chris Kirsch (Loss, 4-4): 8 runs on 6 hits with 3 strikeouts and a walk in 3 1/3 innings
- Eduar Quinonez: 4 unearned runs on 3 hits in 2/3 inning
- Isaac Gil: 3 scoreless innings with 4 hits and 4 strikeouts