The GCL Rays rallied in the bottom of the eighth to defeat the GCL Twins 10-8 on Wednesday afternoon in Port Charlotte.
The Rays took an early lead in the first inning. Back to back singles by Anthony Cantillo and Andrew Velazquez put two runners on the bases for the Rays. Both runners would score on an RBI single by Ty Morrison to give the Rays a 2-0 lead.
The Twins answered with five runs in the second and two more in the third to take a 7-2 lead.
The Rays chipped away at the lead in the fourth. Morrison doubled to right followed by a walk to Devin Davis to put the Rays in business with no outs. An RBI double by Miguel Hernandez would score Morrison. Then Davis would score on ground ball by Blake Grant-Parks to put another run on the scoreboard. Hernandez would later score on a wild pitch to make it 7-5.
The Twins added an insurance run in the top of the seventh to extend their lead to 8-5.
The Rays rallied in the bottom of the eighth to take the lead. Blair Beck singled to right to open up the frame. He later scored on a double by Hernandez. Back to back walks to Samm Wiggins and Cody Semler loaded the bases for the Rays with no outs. Then chaos broke out on a single by Velazquez which cleared the bases thanks to a missed catch error and a throwing error giving the Rays an 10-8 lead.
John Williams retired the Twins in order to secure his and the team’s second victory of the season.
The series concludes on Thursday in Fort Myers.
- Oscar Rojas (CF): 1 for 3 with a double
- Jaime Ayende (PR-CF): 0 for 1
- Anthony Cantillo (2B): 1 for 5 with a run scored
- Andrew Velazquez (SS): 2 for 4 with 2 RBI’s and 2 runs scored
- Ty Morrison (DH): 2 for 5 with a double, 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Devin Davis (1B): 0 for 1 with a run scored
- Gilbert Marrero (1B): 0 for 2
- Blair Beck (RF): 1 for 3 with run scored
- Miguel Hernandez (LF): 3 for 4 with 2 doubles, 2 RBI’s and 2 run scored
- Blake Grant-Parks (C): 0 for 2
- Samm Wiggins (C): drew a walk and scored in only plate appearance
- Cody Semler (3B): 0 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Abrahan Rodriguez: 7 runs on 9 hits with 5 strikeouts and 2 walks
- Ian Kendall: 1 run on 1 hit with 2 walks in 1 2/3 innings
- John Williams (Win, 2-0): 2 2/3 scoreless innings with a hit and a strikeout