After a big win on Sunday, the Stone Crabs failed to carry the momentum into Monday’s game as they fell to the Clearwater Threshers 3-1 at Charlotte Sports Park.
Clearwater jumped out to an early lead, scoring a run in the first and another in the second. An RBI double by Andrew Pullin in the first and and sac fly by Malquin Canelo in the second game the Threshers a 2-0 lead.
Clearwater struck for another run in the fifth. This time it was Pullin driving home Canelo to give them a 3-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs scored their lone run of the night in the bottom of the fifth. Jace Conrad singled to right to put a runner on the bases. He stole second and moved to third on a ground out by Maxx Tissenbaum. Conrad scored on a wild pitch to make it 3-0.
The Stone Crabs put runners in scoring position in each of the final frames but couldn’t find a way to score the runners as they fell 3-1.
German Marquez suffered the loss for the Stone Crabs. Yacksel Rios earned the win and Edubray Ramos the save for Clearwater.
The Stone Crabs look to try and split the series in the finale on Tuesday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Andrew Bellatti (0-0, 0.00) will be on the mound for the Stone Crabs against David Whitehead (4-6, 4.44) for Clearwater.
- Marty Gantt (PH-DH): 0 for 3
- Kean Wong (2B): 2 for 4
- Willy Adames (SS): 0 for 3
- Pat Blair (SS): 0 for 1
- Casey Gillaspie (1B): 1 for 4
- Granden Goetzman (CF): 0 for 4
- Mike Marjama (1B): 1 for 4 with a double
- Jace Conrad (3B): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 0 for 4
- Braxton Lee (CF): 1 for 3
- German Marquez (Loss, 4-7): 3 runs on 9 hits with 4 strikeouts and 2 walks in 6 innings
- Kyle McKenzie: 2 scoreless innings with 2 hits and 2 strikeouts
- Brad Schreiber: 1 no-hit innings with 1 strikeout