The GCL Rays put a win in the win column for the first time this season as they defeated the GCL Orioles on Friday afternoon in Sarasota.
The Rays took an early lead, scoring in the second inning. Ty Morrison singled to lead off the inning. He stole second and later scored on a grounder by Rafelin Lorenzo. Later in the inning, Anthony Cantillo singled home Gilbert Marrero to give the Rays a 2-0 lead.
The Orioles cut the lead in half by scoring a run in the bottom of the second.
From that point on, both teams would not allow another run to hit the scoreboard as the Rays held on for the 2-1 victory.
John Williams was the winning pitcher for the Rays and Ty Jackson earned the save.
The series continues on Saturday morning in Port Charlotte.
- Oscar Rojas (RF): 1 for 4
- Adrian Rondon (SS): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Juan Rodriguez (3B): 0 for 4
- Ty Morrison (LF): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Rafelin Lorenzo (C): 0 for 3 with an RBI and a walk
- Gilbert Marrero (1B): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Samm Wiggins (DH): 1 for 4
- Anthony Cantillo (2B): 1 for 2 with an RBI and a walk
- Jaime Ayende (CF): 0 for 3
- Francisco Mena: 1 run on 3 hits with 4 strikeouts and 2 walks in 4 innings
- John Williams (Win, 1-0): 2 scoreless innings with 1 hit and 1 strikeout
- Bryan Bonnell (Hold, 1): 2 scoreless innings with 2 hits
- Ty Jackson (Save, 1): 1 shut-out inning with 1 hit, 1 walk and 3 strikeouts