The Stone Crabs could not bounce back from a five run deficit as they fell to the Bradenton Marauders 6-3 on Wednesday at Charlotte Sports Park.
Both clubs exchanged scoreless innings until the top of the fourth when the Marauders struck for a pair of runs. Austin Meadows scored on an error and Erich Weiss singled home Barrett Barnes to give the Marauders a 2-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs cut the lead in half by scoring in the bottom of the fourth. Grady Sizemore opened the inning with a double to right. Sizemore later scored on an RBI double by Marty Gantt to put the Stone Crabs on the scoreboard.
Bradenton scored two more in the fifth and another in the sixth and seventh to extend their lead to 6-1.
The Stone Crabs picked up another run in the bottom of the seventh. Armando Araiza single to center, scoring Braxton Lee to make it 6-2.
The Stone Crabs posted their third and final run of the night in the eighth inning. Sizemore doubled to right to lead off the inning. He later scored on a sac fly by Willy Adames to cut the lead in half.
The Stone Crabs were held scoreless through the final two frames as they fell 6-3.
German Marquez was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs.
The Stone Crabs open a short two game series with the Fort Myers Miracle on Thursday at Charlotte Sports Park.
- Grady Sizemore (LF): 2 for 4 with 2 doubles
- Kean Wong (2B): 0 for 4
- Willy Adames (SS): 0 for 3 with an RBI
- Marty Gantt (RF): 2 for 4 with a double and an RBI
- Granden Goetzman (DH): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Mike Marjama (1B): 1 for 4
- Braxton Lee (CF): 0 for 4 with a run scored
- Armando Araiza (C): 1 for 3 with an RBI
- Pat Blair (3B): 1 for 3
- German Marquez (Loss, 4-6): 5 runs, 3 earned on 9 hits with 3 strikeouts and 2 walks in 6 innings
- Isaac Gil: 1 run on 2 hits with 3 strikeouts and a walk in 2 innings
- Brad Schreiber: 1 no-hit inning