The GCL Rays overcame an early deficit to tie the game but ended up losing by one run as they fell to the GCL Red Sox 5-4 on Thursday afternoon.
The Red Sox jumped out to an early three run lead in the first inning.
The Rays broke their scoreless streak by pushing across a run in the top of the third. Oscar Rojas singled to right and then scored on a double by Ty Morrison to put the Rays on the scoreboard.
The Rays battled back to tie the game in the sixth. Gilbert Marrero doubled to left to open up the inning. He wouldn’t remain on the bases long as Rafelin Lorenzo cleared them with a homer to left to tie the game.
The contest remained deadlocked until the bottom of the eighth when the Red Sox pushed across two runs to take a 5-3 lead.
The Rays tried to mount another comeback in the ninth. Codey Semler doubled to right and then scored on a single by Rojas. Adrian Rondon kept his on-base streak alive by drawing a walk followed by a Ty Morrison reaching on interference to load the bases. But an inning ending double play would end the threat and hand the Rays their fourth straight loss.
Ty Nichols was charged with the loss for the Rays.
The Rays begin a two game series against the GCL Orioles on Friday with the first game being played in Sarasota at noon.
- Oscar Rojas (CF): 3 for 5 with an RBI and a run scored
- Adrian Rondon (SS): 0 for 4 with a walk
- Ty Morrison (RF): 2 for 4 with a double and an RBI
- Juan Carlos Arias (3B): 0 for 5
- Gilbert Marrero (1B): 2 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Rafelin Lorenzo (C): 3 for 4 with a double and a 2 run homer
- Blair Beck (LF): 1 for 4
- Cody Semler (DH): 1 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Anthony Cantillo (2B): 0 for 4
- Kyle McPherson: 3 runs on 6 hits with a strikeout in 2 innings
- Abrahan Rodriguez: 3 scoreless innings with 4 strikeouts, 2 walks and 3 hits
- Ty Nichols (Loss, 0-1): 2 runs on 2 hits with 2 strikeouts and a walk