The Stone Crabs rallied in the late inning to tie the game and force extra innings but would eventually lose to the Bradenton Marauders 7-3 on Tuesday night at Charlotte Sports Park.
After a brief delay, the teams took the field and first pitch was delivered by Buddy Borden at 7:17.
Bradenton jumped out to an early lead in the second inning. An RBI single by Jin-De Jhang scored Erich Weiss. Reese McGuire was out at the plate, minimizing the damage and holding the Marauders to just one run.
The Stone Crabs threatened in the fourth inning. Singles by Tim Beckham and Granden Goetzman followed by a walk to Marty Gantt loaded the bases with one out. But an inning ending double play ended the threat without putting a run on the scoreboard.
The Marauders scored again in the sixth inning. Barrett Barnes scored on an RBI single by Harold Ramirez to extend their lead to 2-0.
The Stone Crabs battled back to tie the game in the seventh inning. Maxx Tissenbaum singled to center to get things started with one out. Mike Marjama followed with a double to left, moving Tissenbaum to third. A wild pitch would score Tissenbaum and move Marjama to third. Marjama then scored on a sac fly by Pat Blair to tie the game.
Bradenton regained the lead in the top of the eighth. An RBI double by Ramirez would give the Marauder a one run lead.
But the Stone Crabs countered in the bottom of the eight. Grady Sizemore picked up his first hit as a Stone Crab, a double into right field. Sizemore advanced to third on a passed ball and later scored on a Kean Wong ground rule double to tie the game and force extra innings.
The game remained tied until the top of the tenth when Bradenton tagged the Stone Crabs bullpen for four runs. The Stone Crabs never recovered as they fell to the Marauders 7-3.
Jeff Ames suffered the loss for the Stone Crabs. Montana DuRapau was the winning pitcher for Bradenton.
The series concludes on Wednesday night at Charlotte Sports Park. German Marquez (4-5, 3.24) will get the start for the Stone Crabs against Luis Heredia (0-2, 6.31) for Bradenton.
- Grady Sizemore (DH): 1 for 4 with a double, run scored and a walk
- Tim Beckham (2B): 1 for 2
- Kean Wong (3B): 1 for 3 with a double and an RBI
- Willy Adames (SS): 1 for 4
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 1 for 3 with a walk
- Marty Gantt (RF): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 1 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Mike Marjama (1B): 1 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Pat Blair (3B): 0 for 3 with an RBI
- Braxton Lee (CF): 0 for 4
- Buddy Borden: 2 runs, 1 earned on 4 hits with 8 strikeouts and 4 walks
- Steve Ascher: 1 no-hit inning with a strikeout
- Eduar Quinonez: 1 run on 3 hits in 2/3 inning
- Jeff Ames (Loss, 1-2): 4 runs on 5 hits in 2 innings
- Josh Kimborowicz: 1 hit in 1/3 scoreless frame