The Stone Crabs hit double digits for the second time in as many days as they defeated the Dunedin Blue Jays 12-6 on Wednesday afternoon at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium.
The Stone Crabs broke the scoreless tie in the second inning. Yoel Araujo and Braxton Lee drove home a run and Kean Wong drove home two to five the Stone Crabs a 4-0 lead.
Dunedin scored a run in the bottom of the third to get on the scoreboard.
Dunedin picked up two more in the fourth. RBI doubles by Boomer Collins and Martin Medina pulled them to within a run of the lead.
Jake Bauers extended the lead to a pair of runs when he took an offering over the right field wall for a solo home run, his sixth of the season.
The Stone Crabs added another run in the sixth. Lee singled to center and moved into scoring position by stealing second. Lee later scored on a single by Dayron Varona to make it 6-3.
Both clubs exchanged a pair of runs in the seventh. Pat Blair and Araujo drove home runs in the top of the inning while LB Dantzler and Matt Dean plated runs in the bottom of the inning.
The Stone Crabs scored again in the eighth. Willy Adames doubled to right and later scored on a passed ball to increase the lead to 9-5.
The Stone Crabs finished their scoring in the top of the ninth on a three run homer by Dayron Varona. That gave the Stone Crabs the 12-6 margin of victory.
Buddy Borden picked up the win, improving to 7-2 on the season.
The Stone Crabs send Chris Kirsch (4-2, 2.30) on the mound for the series finale on Thursday night against Jeff Hoffman (1-1, 3.93) for Dunedin.
- Dayron Varona (RF): 3 for 6 with a home run, 4 RBI’s and 2 runs scored
- Kean Wong (2B): 4 for 6 with a double and 2 RBI’s
- Willy Adames (SS): 1 for 5 with a run scored
- Jake Bauers (1B): 1 for 5 with a home run
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 1 for 5 with a run scored
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 1 for 5 with a run scored
- Pat Blair (3B): 2 for 3 with a double, RBI and a run scored
- Yoel Araujo (DH): 3 for 5 with 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Braxton Lee (CF): 3 for 5 with an RBI and 3 runs scored
- Buddy Borden (Win, 7-2): 3 runs on 6 hits with 3 strikeouts and 2 walks in 5 innings
- Kyle McKenzie (Hold, 2): 2 runs on 4 hits with 2 strikeouts in 1 2/3 innings
- Steve Ascher (Hold, 3): 1 run on 2 hits with 2 strikeouts in 1 1/3 innings
- Josh Kimborowicz: 1 no-hit inning