The Stone Crabs offense struggled Monday night in an 8-3 loss to the Dunedin Blue Jays at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium. The Stone Crabs hitters struck out 12 times on the night.
The Blue Jays took the lead in the second inning. A solo home run by Mitch Nay and an RBI single by Christian Lopes gave them a 2-0 lead.
Dunedin added two more in the third. JD David doubled to lead off the inning. He then scored on a double by LB Dantzler. Dantzler later scored on a sac fly by Nay to increase the lead to 4-0.
The Stone Crabs scored their first run of the contest in the top of the fourth inning. Pat Blair singled to left to get things started. Blair scored on an RBI double by Yoel Araujo to make it 4-1.
Dunedin went deep again in the bottom of the fourth. This time it was a two run shot by Roemon Fields to increase the lead to 6-1.
The Blue Jays posted another pair of runs to the scoreboard in the bottom of the sixth to take a commanding 8-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs orchestrated a two run inning of their own in the seventh. Braxton Lee and Kean Wong drew back to back walks to lead off the inning. Lee would score on a ground out by Jake Bauers. Then Maxx Tissenbaum drove home Wong with an RBI double to make it 8-3.
The Stone Crabs offense could not recover from the large deficit as they fell 8-3.
German Marquez was charged with the loss and fell to 3-5 on the season.
The series continues on Tuesday at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium. Matt Moore (0-0, 0.00) will be making his second rehab appearance of the season against Luis Santos (3-4, 4.55) for Dunedin.
- Braxton Lee (CF): 0 for 2 with 3 walks and a run scored
- Kean Wong (2B): 3 for 4 with a run scored
- Dayron Varona (LF): 1 for 5
- Jake Bauers (DH): 0 for 5
- Mike Marjama (1B): 1 for 5 with a double and an RBI
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 1 for 3 with a walk
- Pat Blair (SS): 1 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Carter Burgess (3B): 0 for 4
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 1 for 4 with a double and an RBI
- German Marquez (Loss, 3-5): 6 runs on 6 hits with 5 strikeouts and a walk in 4 innings
- Eduar Quinonez: 2 runs on 3 hits with a strikeout and 2 walks in 2 innings
- Robert Zarate: 2 no-hit innings with a walk and 2 strikeouts