The Stone Crabs almost watched their winning streak fade away as the home team rallied in the bottom of the ninth, but the they held on to win 3-2 over the Brevard County Manatees on Wednesday night at Space Coast Stadium.
The Stone Crabs broke the scoreless tie by pushing across a pair of runs in the top of the fourth inning. Pat Blair hit a bases loaded single to score Jake Bauers for the first run of the game. Then Granden Goetzman scored on a sac fly by Yoel Araujo to give the Stone Crabs a 2-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added an insurance run in the top of the eighth inning. Willy Adames doubled to center and then scored on an RBI single by Bauers to extend the lead to 3-0.
Brevard County rallied in the bottom of the ninth. They pushed across two runs to pull to within a run, but closer Brad Schreiber recovered to strand the tying run on the bases and secure the 3-2 win.
Jacob Faria improved to 8-1 on the season and Schreiber notched the save. Brandon Woodruff suffered the loss.
Both teams are back on the field Thursday night for game three of the series. German Marquez (3-2, 2.48) gets the ball for the Stone Crabs against Javier Salas (3-3, 2.61) for Brevard County.
- Dayron Varona (RF): 0 for 4
- Kean Wong (2B): 0 for 4
- Willy Adames (SS): 3 for 4 with 2 doubles and a run scored
- Jake Bauers (1B): 2 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 0 for 4
- Pat Blair (3B): 1 for 3 with an RBI
- Yoel Araujo (DH): 0 for 3
- Braxton Lee (CF): 2 for 4
- Jacob Faria (Win, 8-1): 7 scoreless innings with 6 strikeouts, 4 hits and a walk
- Jeff Ames (Hold, 3): 1 no-hit inning with 2 strikeouts
- Brad Schreiber (Save, 11): 2 runs on 2 hits with 2 walks and a strikeout in 1 inning