The Stone Crabs watched an early lead slip away but used a big sixth inning to defeat the Tampa Yankees on Saturday night at Charlotte Sports Park.
The Stone Crabs took an early lead in the second inning. Marty Gantt doubled to left to lead off the inning. He moved to third following a single by Mike Marjama. Gantt then scored on a ground ball by Maxx Tissenbaum to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
Tampa battled back to take the lead an inning later. They led off the inning with back to back singles by Vicente Conde and Derek Toadvine. Mark Payton tied the game with an RBI single to score Conde. Toadvine later score the go ahead run on a sac fly by Tyler Wade to give the Yankees a 2-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs trailed until the sixth inning when they sent ten hitters to the plate in a six run frame. Tissenbaum, Braxton Lee, Juniel Querecuto, Kean Wong, and Jake Bauers all collected RBI’s to put the Stone Crabs in front to stay 7-1.
Buddy Borden recorded the win for the Stone Crabs while Angel Rincon suffered the loss for Tampa.
The Stone Crabs look to sweep the series as they send Ryne Stanek (3-2, 1.85) to the hill in the finale on Sunday morning against Chaz Hebert (3-2, 5.93) for Tampa.
- Juniel Querecuto (3B): 2 for 5 with an RBI and a run scored
- Kean Wong (2B): 1 for 5 with an RBI and a run scored
- Willy Adames (SS): 2 for 5 with a double
- Jake Bauers (1B): 1 for 5 with an RBI
- Marty Gantt (LF): 3 for 5 with 2 doubles and 2 RBI’s
- Mike Marjama (DH): 3 for 4 with a run scored
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 1 for 3 with 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Braxton Lee (CF): 1 for 3 with an RBI
- Taylor Guerrieri: 1 run on 5 hits with 4 strikeouts and a walk in 2 2/3 innings
- Isaac Gil: 1/3 no-hit inning
- Buddy Borden (Win, 5-1): 5 scoreless innings with 4 hits, 3 strikeouts and 2 walks
- Steve Asher: 1 shut-out inning with 2 hits