The Stone Crabs posted a trio of runs in the first inning and never looked back as they cruised to a 4-1 win over the Tampa Yankees on Friday night at Charlotte Sports Park.
The excitement of the night started even before game time as the Stone Crabs were forced to cancel their “A-Rod Juice Box” promotion. But ever pressure from the big league clubs, the Stone Crabs management decided to cancel the promotion and issued a statement of apology.
Once the players were on the field, the Stone Crabs wasted no time in taking the lead, striking for three runs in the first inning. Juniel Querecuto, Jake Bauers and Marty Gantt each scored to give the Stone Crabs a 3-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs scored again in the sixth. Granden Goetzman doubled to left and later scored on a sac fly by Braxton Lee to make it 4-0.
Starter German Marquez was dominating on the hill, tossing seven scoreless innings before giving it over to the bullpen in the eighth inning.
Tampa scored their lone run in the top of the eighth. Abiatal Avelino double to left with two outs. He later scored on an error by Willy Adames to help the Yankees avoid being shut-out.
The Stone Crabs kept Tampa off the board the remainder of the night as they took a 4-1 win in game two of the four game series.
The series continues on Saturday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Taylor Guerrieri (0-0, 0.00) makes his second start of the season against Rookie Davis (2-3, 4.01) for Tampa.
- Juniel Querecuto (3B): 2 for 4 with a run scored
- Kean Wong (2B): 1 for 4
- Willy Adames (SS): 0 for 4
- Jake Bauers (1B): 1 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored
- Marty Gantt (DH): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 3 for 3 with a double, RBI and a run scored
- Armando Araiza (C): 1 for 3
- Braxton Lee (CF): 0 for 3
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 0 for 2 with a walk
- German Marquez (Win, 3-2): 7 scoreless innings with 2 hits, 3 strikeouts and a walk
- Josh Kimborowicz: 1 unearned run with 2 hits and a strikeouts in 1 inning
- Jeff Ames (Save, 1): 1 scoreless inning with 3 hits, a strikeout and a walk