The Stone Crabs rebounded from yesterday’s series loss by taking the series opener against the Tampa Yankees. The Stone Crabs squeezed by the Yankees 2-1 on Thursday night at Charlotte Sports Park.
The Yankees posted the first run of the night in the top of the second inning. Mike Ford led off the inning with a line drive single. He would later score on a ground ball by Ericson Leonora to give the Yankees a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs capitalized on miscues to tie the game an inning later. Kean Wong reached on a strike three wild pitch to put a runner on the bases. He advanced into second on a throwing error on a pick-off attempt. Wong later scored on a fielding error to tie the game.
The Stone Crabs took the lead in the fourth inning. Mike Marjama singled to center to lead off the frame. Pat Blair would later drive him home with a single to right that gave the Stone Crabs a 2-1 lead.
The Yankees threatened in the fifth and again in the eighth, but nothing came from it and the Stone Crabs held on for the 2-1 win.
Jacob Faria picked up the win and improved to a league best seven wins. Gabriel Encinas was the losing pitcher for Tampa.
The series continues on Friday night at Charlotte Sports Park. German Marquez (2-2, 3.00) will get the start against Rookie Davis (2-3, 4.01).
- Juniel Querecuto (SS): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Kean Wong (2B): 1 for 3
- Marty Gantt (RF): 0 for 4
- Yoel Araujo (RF): defensive substitution
- Jake Bauers (1B): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Mike Marjama (DH): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 0 for 3
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 0 for 3
- Pat Blair (3B): 1 for 3 with an RBI
- Braxton Lee (CF): 1 for 3
- Jacob Faria (Win, 7-1): 1 run on 4 hits with 4 strikeouts and 4 walks in 6 innings
- Kyle McKenzie (Hold, 1): 1 1/3 scoreless inning with 2 hits and 2 strikeouts
- Brad Schreiber (Save, 10): 1 2/3 no-hit inning with a strikeout