After being pretty much non-existent on Monday night, the Stone Crabs offense was on fire Tuesday night as they crushed the Jupiter Hammerheads 11-3 at Charlotte Sports Park. The offense combined for 18 hits on the night and every hitter in the lineup reached base at least once.
The scoring started in the first inning with the Hammerheads getting on the board with a pair of runs. JT Riddle and Austin Dean led off the inning with back to back singles. A walk to Brian Anderson would load the bases with no outs. Felix Munoz and Avery Romero would each drive in a run to give the Hammerheads a 2-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs countered in the bottom of the first. Marty Gantt singled and Kean Wong doubled to lead off the inning and put two runners in scoring position. Gantt scored on a ground out by Willy Adames for the first run of the frame. Granden Goetzman drove home Wong to tie the game. Juniel Querecuto followed with a single to put another runner on the base path. Mike Marjama would then deliver an RBI single to score Goetzman to give the Crabs the lead. A line drive by Pat Blair then scored Querecuto and Marjama to give the Stone Crabs a 5-2 lead.
The Stone Crabs added another run in the bottom of the third. Goetzman singled to lead off the inning. He would later score on an RBI single by Blair to make it 6-2.
Jupiter picked up their third and final run of the night in the fifth inning. Similar to the top of the first, they loaded the bases with Riddle, Dean and Anderson reaching base. Riddle scored on a ground ball by Munoz to cut the lead in half 6-3.
The Stone Crabs offense erupted again in the bottom of the fifth as they sent eleven hitters to the plate in another five run inning. The inning started with a triple to left by Goetzman. He scored on a sac fly by Querecuto. Marjama and Blair followed with back to back single to put runners on the bases for Maxx Tissenbaum who cleared them with a triple to center. Tissenbaum would score on an errant throw to third. But the bases wouldn’t remain empty long as Yoel Araujo drew a walk followed by single to Gantt. Another run scored on a single by Kean Wong. When the dust settled, the Stone Crabs had extended their lead to 11-3.
The Stone Crabs threatened a couple more times on the night but did not push across any more runs as their cruised to an 11-3 victory.
Ryne Stanek earned his third win of the season. Sean Townsley suffered the loss.
The Stone Crabs and Hammerheads are back out at Charlotte Sports Park for the series finale on Wednesday morning. Chris Kirsch (2-1, 3.58) will have the ball for the Stone Crabs against Scott Lyman for Jupiter (4-1, 1.80).
- Marty Gantt (CF): 2 for 4 with 2 walks and a run scored
- Kean Wong (2B): 2 for 6 with a double, RBI and a run scored
- Willy Adames (SS): 1 for 4 with an RBI
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 3 for 4 with a triple, RBI and 3 runs scored
- Juniel Querecuto (DH): 3 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored
- Mike Marjama (1B): 2 for 5 with an RBI and 2 runs scored
- Pat Blair (3B): 3 for 4 with 3 RBI’s and a run scored
- Maxx Tissebaum (C): 2 for 4 with a triple, 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 0 for 4 with a walk and a run scored
- Ryne Stanek (Win, 3-2): 3 runs on 5 hits with 2 strikeouts and 2 walks in 5 innings
- Jeff Ames: 2 scoreless innings with a hit, 2 strikeouts and a walk
- Jordan Harrison: 2 scoreless innings with a hit and a strikeout
- Isaac Gil: 2 scoreless innings with a hit