It took eleven innings of baseball to determine a winner in Monday night’s pitching duel between the Stone Crabs and the Jupiter Hammerheads. But when it was said and done, it was a lone run in the top of the eleventh inning that would make the difference as the Stone Crabs fell to the Hammerheads 1-0.
The Stone Crabs started with Taylor Guerrieri on the mound. The first round draft pick by the Rays in 2011 is making a comeback following Tommy John surgery. He was scheduled to pitch three innings and threw a gem. He only faced the minimum hitters in three innings, allowing one hit but forcing the following hitter to hit into a double play and erase the run.
Guerrieri turned the mound of to the FSL Pitcher of the Week Buddy Borden who continued to be lights out on the mound. Borden provided five more innings of scoreless baseball to extend his shut-out streak to thirteen innings.
Both pitching staffs would exchange zeroes until the top of the eleventh inning when Jupiter scored the lone run of the night. JT Riddle singled to center to lead off the inning. He moved into scoring position following a sacrifice bunt by Austin Dean. Riddle then scored on an RBI single by Brian Anderson to give the Hammerheads a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs were retired in order in the home half of the inning as they fell 1-0.
Kyle McKenzie was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs. Alex Burgos was the winning pitcher for Jupiter and Juancito Martinez earned the save.
The Stone Crabs look to avenge the loss on Tuesday at Charlotte Sports Park. The Stone Crabs have yet to lose three games in a row and will send Ryne Stanek (2-2, 1.63) to the hill to try and keep that record intact. The Hammerheads oppose with Sean Townsley (1-5, 4.75)
- Braxton Lee (CF): 1 for 4
- Juniel Querecuto (3B): 0 for 4
- Willy Adames (SS): 2 for 5 with a triple
- Jake Bauers (DH): 1 for 4
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 1 for 5
- Mike Marjama (1B): 2 for 5
- Pat Blair (2B): 1 for 4
- Armando Araiza (C): 0 for 5
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 1 for 4
- Taylor Guerrieri: 3 scoreless innings with 1 hit and 2 strikeouts
- Buddy Borden: 5 shut-out innings with 3 hits, 5 strikeouts and 2 walks
- Brad Schreiber: 2 no-hit innings with 3 strikeouts and 2 walks
- Kyle McKenzie (Loss, 2-1): 1 run on 2 hits in 1 inning