The Stone Crabs extended their winning streak to eight games after beating the Clearwater Threshers 5-1 on Thursday night at Bright House Field. Every Stone Crabs hitter reached base as they lead the team to their second straight series sweep.
The Stone Crabs took the lead in the second inning. Jake Bauers led off the inning with a double to right. He later scored on a sac fly by Mike Marjama to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added to their lead in the fourth inning on a solo home run by Marjama to make it 2-0.
The Stone Crabs added a pair of runs in the top of the sixth. Marty Gantt led off the inning with a bunt single. He then scored on a double by Bauers, his second of the night. Bauers would eventually score on a sac fly by Granden Goetzman to increase the lead to 4-0.
The Stone Crabs scored their final run of the night in the eighth inning. The inning started out much like the sixth, a single by Gantt and a double by Bauers to get things going. A bases loaded single by Pat Blair would score Gantt to give the Stone Crabs a 5-0 lead.
Clearwater scored their only run of the night in the bottom of the ninth. Dylan Cozens drew a one out walk to put a runner on the bases. He later scored on a single by Willian Astudillo. But the Stone Crabs just the door as they cruised to a 5-1 win.
Ryne Stanek picked up the win and improved to 2-2 on the season. Victor Arano was the losing pitcher for Clearwater.
The Stone Crabs continue their road trip as they head to St Lucie for a three game series beginning on Friday night.
- Juniel Querecuto (SS): 0 for 2 with 3 walks
- Kean Wong (2B): 1 for 4 with a walk
- Marty Gantt (DH): 3 for 5 with 2 runs scored
- Jake Bauers (1B): 4 for 5 with 3 doubles, an RBI and 3 runs scored
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 0 for 4 with an RBI
- Mike Marjama (C): 1 for 2 with a home run and 2 RBI’s
- Pat Blair (3B): 1 for 4 with an RBI
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Braxton Lee (CF): 1 for 3 with a walk
- Ryne Stanek (Win, 2-2): 7 scoreless innings with 3 hits, 9 strikeouts and 2 walks
- Steve Ascher: 1 run on 3 hits with a walk in 2 innings