The Stone Crabs couldn’t keep the St Lucie offense quiet as they lost the series opener 8-3 on Friday night at Tradition Field. The Mets used two four run innings to snap the Stone Crabs eight game winning streak.
St Lucie jumped out to a four run lead in the bottom of the third inning. They loaded the bases on two singles and a walk. Two runs came on a throwing error by Pat Blair and then two more came on an RBI single by Dominic Smith to put the Mets in front 4-0.
The Stone Crabs got on the scoreboard in the fourth inning. Juniel Querecuto singled to right and later scored on an RBI single by Maxx Tissenbaum to make it 4-1.
The Stone Crabs pulled to within a run of the lead in the fifth inning. Yoel Araujo drew a two out walk to get things started. Araujo scored on an RBI double to left. Then Lee came home on a double by Marty Gantt to pull the Stone Crabs to within a run of the lead 4-3.
But things got out of control for the Stone Crabs in the bottom of the fifth. The Mets loaded the bases and then pushed across four runs in the inning to take an 8-3 lead.
The Stone Crabs scored again in the top of the ninth. Willy Adames opned the frame with a triple to center. He later scored on an RBI single by Tissenbaum. But the Stone Crabs couldn’t overcome the deficit as they fell 8-4.
Chris Kirsch was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs.
The series continues on Saturday night at Tradition Field. Jacob Faria (5-1, 1.60) gets the ball for the Stone Crabs opposite Kevin McGowen (1-3, 6.58) for St Lucie.
- Marty Gantt (LF): 1 for 4 with a double
- Juniel Querecuto (2B): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Willy Adames (SS):1 for 3 with a triple and a run scored
- Jake Bauers (1B): 0 for 4
- Maxx Tissenbaum (DH): 2 for 4
- Pat Blair (3B): 0 for 4
- Armando Araiza (C): 0 for 4
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 0 for 2 with a walk and a run scored
- Braxton Lee (CF): 1 for 3 with a double, RBI and run scored
- Chris Kirsch (Loss, 2-1): 8 runs, 4 earned on 6 hits with 4 walks and 2 strikeouts in 4 innings
- Isaac Gil: 2 scoreless innings with a strikeout and 2 hits
- Yonny Chirinos: 2 scoreless innings with a hit and 2 strikeouts