Pitching continued to dominate the field in game two of the doubleheader as the Stone Crabs edged the Clearwater Threshers 1-0 at Bright House Field. Both pitching staffs combined for just 1 run and just 9 overall base runners in the contest.
A run would not cross the plate until the top of the seventh inning. Marty Gantt singled to left to give the Stone Crabs a two out baserunner. Gantt stole second and later scored on an error to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
But that one run was all that was needed. The Threshers put the tying run on the bases but a double play erased the runner and gave the Stone Crabs the 1-0 win.
Kyle McKenzie picked up the win.
The Stone Crabs look to sweep the series in the finale on Thursday night at Bright House Field. Chris Kirsch (2-0, 2.83) will start the finale against Victor Arano (0-3, 5.85) for Clearwater.
- Juniel Querecuto (3B-SS): 1 for 3
- Kean Wong (2B): 0 for 3
- Willy Adames (SS): 0 for 2
- Pat Blair (3B): 0 for 1
- Jake Bauers (1B): 0 for 3
- Marty Gantt (RF): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 0 for 3
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 1 for 3
- Mike Marjama (DH): 0 for 2
- Braxton Lee (CF): 0 for 1
- Jordan Harrison: 3 scoreless innings with 1 hit and 1 walk
- Kyle McKenzie (Win, 2-0): 3 no-hit innings with a strikeout and a walk
- Brad Schreiber (Save, 9): 1 scoreless inning