Buddy Borden was unhittable in game one of Wednesday’s doubleheader, leading the Stone Crabs to a 5-0 win over the Clearwater Theshers. Borden threw a complete game no-hitter, the second in Stone Crabs history.
While Borden was keeping Clearwater off the board, the Stone Crabs went to work to give him some run support. They broke the scoreless tie in the top of the third inning. Pat Blair went deep for a two-run homer. Then later in the inning, Willy Adames singled home Marty Gantt to give the Stone Crabs a 3-0 lead.
The defense even put on a show, turning a triple play for the first time in franchise history. Andrew Pullin reached on an error to lead off the inning following a walk to Andrew Knapp to put runners at first and second. Then Dylan Cozens lined out to shortstop Willy Adames who in turn started the 6-4-3 triple play to end the inning.
The Stone Crabs added to their lead in the fifth. This time it was Juniel Querecuto with a two run home run to put the Stone Crabs in front 5-0.
Borden only allowed three baserunners all afternoon, two walks and on reaching on error, enroute to his fourth win of the season.
- Juniel Querecuto (3B): 1 for 4 with a two run homer
- Marty Gantt (CF): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Willy Adames (SS): 1 for 3 with an RBI
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 0 for 3
- Mike Marjama (1B): 2 for 3
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 0 for 3
- Alexander Simon (DH): 1 for 3
- Armando Araiza (C): 1 for 1 with 2 walks and a run scored
- Pat Blair (2B): 2 for 3 with a double, home run, 2 RBI’s and 2 runs scored
- Buddy Borden (Win, 4-1): 7 no-hit innings with 3 strikeouts and 2 walks