A season high three home runs help propel the Stone Crabs to an 8-2 win over the Clearwater Threshers in game one of Tuesday’s doubleheader at Bright House Field.
The Stone Crabs jumped out to a lead in the first inning. Willy Adames doubled to left with two outs to get things going. Adames scored on a single by Jake Bauers. Marty Gantt then reached on an error to move Bauers into scoring positon. Granden Goetzman cleared the bases with a homer to left to give the Stone Crabs a 4-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added to their lead in the top of the fourth. Armando Araiza singled and Yoel Araujo doubled to left to lead off the inning. Both runners scored on a single by Juniel Querecuto to make it 6-0.
The Stone Crabs added another run in the fifth on a solo home run by Marty Gantt.
Clearwater got on the scoreboard in the bottom of the fifth. An error by Yoel Araujo allowed a run to score to give the Threshers their first run of the night.
The Threshers added another run in the sixth inning to make it 7-2.
The Stone Crabs got one last run in the seventh inning following a solo home run by Adames to give the Stone Crabs and 8-2 lead.
The Stone Crabs beat the storm as the retired the Threshers in the final frame to secure the win.
German Marquez picked up the win for the Stone Crabs. David Whitehead suffered the loss for Clearwater.
Game two of the doubleheader is scheduled to be played after a break following game one, weather permitting.
- Juniel Querecuto (3B): 1 for 3 with 2 RBI’s
- Kean Wong (2B): 0 for 4
- Willy Adames (SS): 2 for 4 with double and a home run
- Jake Bauers (1B): 1 for 4 with an RBI
- Marty Gantt (CF): 1 for 3 with a home run and 2 runs scored
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 1 for 4 with a three run homer
- Armando Araiza (C): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 1 for 3 with a double
- Braxton Lee (CF): 2 for 3
- German Marquez (Win, 2-1): 1 run on 7 hits with 4 strikeouts and 1 walk 5 innings
- Josh Kimborowicz: 1 run on 3 hits in 1 inning
- Yonny Chrinos: 1 scoreless inning with a hit and a strikeout