The Stone Crabs guaranteed themselves a series win after defeating the St Lucie Mets 4-1 on Friday night at Charlotte Sports Park. The win was the third straight for the Stone Crabs.
The Stone Crabs broke the scoreless tie in the second inning. Jake Bauers singled to right to lead off the inning. Maxx Tissenbaum then took a pitch to the body for a free base to put runners at first and second. Granden Goetzman delivered a ground ball to left and was thrown out trying to stretch the single into a double. But not before Bauers and Tissenbaum scored to give the Stone Crabs a 2-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added to their lead in the bottom of the sixth. Kean Wong and Willy Adames singled to put runners on the bases. Bauers then hit into a double play, erasing Adames from the bases but allowing Wong to score and make it 3-0.
St Lucie avoided the shut-out by scoring in the top of the eighth. Jeff McNeil reached on an error and later scored on a sac fly Matt Oberste to put the Mets on the board.
The Stone Crabs pushed across an insurance run in the bottom half of the eighth. Pat Blair reached on an error. He later advanced into scoring postion following a passed ball. Blair scored on an RBI single by Adames to give the Stone Crabs the 4-1 margin of victory.
Chris Kirsch tossed seven scoreless innings to earn the win and improve to 2-0. Kyle McKenzie notched his first save of the season. Rob Whalen was the losing pitcher for St Lucie.
The series concludes on Saturday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Jacob Faria will be on the mound for the Stone Crabs in the finale against Kevin McGowan for St Lucie.
- Juniel Querecuto (3B): 1 for 4
- Kean Wong (2B): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Willy Adames (SS): 2 for 4
- Jake Bauers (1B): 1 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Marty Gantt (CF): 0 for 3
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 0 for 1 with a run scored
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 2 for 3 with 2 RBI’s
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 1 for 3
- Pat Blair (DH): 0 for 3 with a run scored
- Chris Kirsch (Win, 2-0): 7 shut-out innings with 5 hits, 3 strikeouts and a walk
- Kyle McKenzie (Save, 1): 1 unearned run with 1 hit and a strikeout in 2 innings