The Stone Crabs avoided the sweep by winning the series finale against the Jupiter Hammerheads on Wednesday night at Roger Dean Stadium.
The Stone Crabs broke the scoreless tie by pushing across a pair of runs in the fourth inning. A single by Willy Adames, a double by Jake Bauers and a walk to Marty Gantt would load the bases with no outs. Maxx Tissenbaum drew a bases loaded walk to put the Stone Crabs on the board. Then Armando Araiza drove home a run with a line drive to make it 2-0.
Jupiter cut the lead in half in the bottom half of the fourth. An RBI single by Avery Romero made it 2-1.
The Hammerheads tied the game in the sixth inning. Christian Yelich scored on a ground ball by Felix Munoz to tie the game at 2 each.
The Stone Crabs scored the go ahead run in the top of the seventh. Braxton Lee reached on an infield single to lead off the inning. He advanced into scoring position by stealing second. Lee later scored on a Adames single to put the Stone Crabs in front by a run.
But that one run would be the difference as the Stone Crabs held on for a 3-2 win.
Steve Ascher earned the win and Brad Schreiber the save.
The Stone Crabs now head home to Charlotte Sports Park to open a three game series against the St Lucie Mets.
- Juniel Querecuto (3B): 2 for 5
- Kean Wong (2B): 0 for 5
- Willy Adames (SS): 2 for 3 with a walk, RBI and run scored
- Jake Bauers (1B): 1 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Marty Gantt (LF): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Maxx Tissenbaum (DH): 1 for 2 with a walk and an RBI
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 1 for 4
- Armando Araiza (C): 1 for 4 with an RBI
- Braxton Lee (CF): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Buddy Borden: 1 run on 3 hits with 4 strikeouts and 2 walks in 5 innings
- Steve Ascher (Win, 2-0): 1 run on 4 hits with a strikeout in 3 innings
- Brad Schreiber (Save, 7): 1 no-hit inning with a strikeout