The Stone Crabs held on to take a close game against the St Lucie Mets on Thursday night at Charlotte Sports Park. A combined five runs were posted to the scoreboard in the first three innings before both pitching staffs exchanged zeroes for the rest of the night.
The Mets took an early lead in the second inning. Matt Oberste singled to short to lead off the inning inning. He later scored on a triple by Amed Rosario. Roasario scored on a throwing error on the play to give the Mets a 2-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs answered in the bottom of the third. Braxton lee doubled to left to get things going. Lee advanced to third on a double by Andrew Velazquez. Juniel Querecuto drove home Lee with a ground ball out to second. After a walk to Willy Adames, Jake Bauers delivered a two run double to right to put the Stone Crabs in front 3-2.
That is when the pitching staffs settled down and went to work, keeping both offenses off the board the remainder of the contest. When it was all over, the Stone Crabs were victorious 3-2 in the series opener.
Ryne Stanek picked up his first win of the 2015 season and Brad Schreiber notched his eighth save of the year. Logan Taylor was charged with the loss for St Lucie.
The Stone Crabs and Mets are back at it again on Friday night at Charlotte Sports Park.
- Andrew Velazquez (3B): 1 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Juniel Querecuto (2B): 0 for 4 with an RBI
- Willy Adames (SS): 0 for 2 with 2 walks and a run scored
- Jake Bauers (1B): 1 for 3 with a double and 2 RBI’s
- Granden Goetzman (LF): 1 for 2
- Mike Marjama (DH): 0 for 3
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 0 for 3
- Armando Araiza (C): 0 for 3
- Braxton Lee (CF): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Ryne Stanek (Win, 1-2): 2 runs on 4 hits with a 3 strikeouts and 2 walks in 6 innings
- Jeff Ames (Hold, 2): 2 scoreless innings with 3 hits, 2 strikeouts and a walk
- Brad Schreiber (Save, 8): 1 scoreless inning with a hit and 3 strikeouts