For the first time this season, the Stone Crabs suffered a big loss at the hands of an opponent as they fell to the Jupiter Hammerheads 9-1 in the series opener Monday night at Roger Dean Stadium.
The Hammerheads jumped out in front in the first inning. Austin Dean singled to short and later scored on a sac fly by Felix Munoz to give them a 1-0 lead.
Jupiter scored a pair of runs in the third inning. A pair of errors on the first two batters of the inning led to the first run. Then Munoz collected his second run of the game with a line drive to center to make it 3-0.
Jupiter strung together three consecutive one run innings from the fourth to the sixth to increase the score to 6-0.
The Stone Crabs finally got on the scoreboard in the seventh inning. Joey Rickard drew a walk to open the inning. Jake Bauers followed with a single to right, advancing Rickard to second. Rickard later scored on a line drive by Juniel Querecuto to score their lone run of the night.
The Hammerheads added three more runs in the eighth inning to hand the Stone Crabs a 9-1 loss.
Jacob Daria suffered the loss, this first of the season. Scott Lyman was the winning pitcher for Jupiter.
The series continues Tuesday at Roger Dean Stadium. Enny Romero (0-0, 5.40) will make his second rehab start of the year against Chris Sadberry (1-3, 5.09) for Jupiter.
- Andrew Velazquez (SS) 1 for 3
- Kean Wong (2B): 1 for 4
- Joey Rickard (RF): 0 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Jake Bauers (1B): 2 for 4
- Marty Gantt (LF): 1 for 4
- Maxx Tissenbaum (DH): 0 for 4
- Juniel Querecuto (DH): 1 for 3 with an RBI
- Pat Blair (3B): 0 for 3
- Braxton Lee (CF): 0 for 3
- Jacob Faria (Loss, 4-1): 4 runs on 6 hits with 3 strikeouts and 2 walks in 4 innings
- Isaac Gil: 5 runs on 6 hits with 3 strikeouts in 3 2/3 innings
- Josh Kimborowicz: 1/3 scoreless inning with a hit