The Stone Crabs gave up five runs in the late innings as they fell to the Bradenton Marauders 5-4 on Sunday afternoon at Charlotte Sports Park. The loss was the first at Charlotte Sports Park for the Stone Crabs this season.
The Stone Crabs took the lead in the first inning. Kean Wong singled to left and later scored on an RBI single by Marty Gantt to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs extended their lead in the second following back to back home runs. Pat Blair took his first at bat as a Stone Crabs over the left field wall for a homer. Armando Araiza followed with a solo homer to make it 3-0.
The Stone Crabs scored again in the bottom of the fourth. Juniel Querecuto scored on a ground ball by Armando Araiza to increase the lead to 4-0.
The Stone Crabs kept Bradenton scoreless until the seventh when a two run home run by Jose Osuna put the Marauders on the board and cut the lead in half 4-2.
Bradenton took the lead an inning later. A two run triple by JaCoby Jones tied the game. Jones later scored on an RBI single by Osuna to give the Marauders a 5-4 lead.
The Stone Crabs put the tying run in scoring position in the eighth but could not find a way to score the run as they fell 5-4.
Buddy Borden was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs. Andy Otamendi picked up the win and Brett McKinney the save for Bradenton.
The series continues on Monday at Charlotte Sports Park. Chris Kirsch (1-0, 3.21) will take the hill for the Stone Crabs against Steven Brault (0-0, 8.10) for Bradenton.
- Braxton Lee (CF): 0 for 4
- Kean Wong (2B): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Joey Rickard (LF): 1 for 3 with a double
- Jake Bauers (1B): 0 for 2 with a walk
- Marty Gantt (DH): 1 for 4
- Juniel Querecuto (SS): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Pat Blair (3B): 2 for 4 with a home run
- Armando Araiza (C): 1 for 4 with a home run and 2 RBI’s
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 0 for 4
- Ryne Stanek: 5 scoreless innings with 2 strikeouts, 3 hits and a walk
- Buddy Borden (Loss, 1-2): 5 runs on 7 hits with 3 strikeouts and 1 walk in 2 1/3 innings
- Brad Schreiber: 1 2/3 scoreless innings with a hit