Friday night’s scoreboard saw a bunch of zeros on the line score, however both teams managed to put up a number on the board in one half inning each. It was the Stone Crabs who’s number was higher at their six run third inning beat the one run first of Palm Beach, lifting the Stone Crabs to a 6-1 win.
The Cardinals jumped out to an early lead by scoring in the first inning. An RBI single by Luke Voit scored Mason Katz to give the Cardinals a 1-0 lead.
From that point on the Stone Crabs pitching staff threw shut-out innings the remainder of the night, allowing the offense a chance to put them out in front.
That opportunity came in the bottom of the third inning, when the Stone Crabs sent eleven hitters to the player to knock across six runs. The inning started with Alexander Simon reaching on an error. He then scored on a triple by Marty Gantt to tie the game. Gantt came home on a single by Kean Wong to take the lead. They then added to their lead on an RBI single by Willy Adames, a two run single by Juniel Querecuto and an RBI double by Yoel Araujo gave the Stone Crabs a 6-1 lead.
After that, the Palm Beach pitching crew settled down and traded scoreless innings with the Stone Crabs. When the night ended it was the Stone Crabs heading to the clubhouse with a 6-1 win.
German Marquez picked up the win, his first as a Stone Crab. Corey Littrell suffered the loss for Palm Beach.
The series concludes on Saturday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Blake Snell (2-0, 0.00) takes to the mound in the finale against Arturo Reyes (1-0, 0.82).
- Marty Gantt (LF): 1 for 4 with a triple, RBI and a run scored
- Kean Wong (2B): 2 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored
- Willy Adames (SS): 3 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored
- Joey Rickard (CF): 1 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Maxx Tissenbaum (DH): 1 for 4 with a double
- Juniel Querecuto (3B): 1 for 3 with 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Armando Araiza (C): 0 for 4
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 1 for 4 with a double and an RBI
- Alexander Simon (1B): 0 for 4 with a run scored
- German Marquez (Win, 1-0): 1 unearned run on 4 hits with 4 strikeouts and 2 walks in 6 innings
- Isaac Gil: 2 scoreless innings with a hit, strikeout and walk
- Josh Kimborowicz: 1 scoreless inning with a hit