The fans at Charlotte Sports Park were treated to an old-fashion pitcher’s duel as the Stone Crabs and Palm Beach Cardinals battled on Thursday night in the series opener. Both pitching staffs were dominating on the mound as they combined for eight scoreless innings on the night.
The lone run of the night came in the bottom of the third inning. Kean Wong reached on an error to put a runner on the bases for the Stone Crabs. Then the Rays rehabbing first baseman James Loney struck a double to left which scored Wong on an errant throw to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
With the pitching performances on the mound, that run was difference as the Stone Crabs held on for a 1-0 win.
Jacob Faria picked up the win, his third of the season. Brad Schreiber notched his third save of the campaign. Trey Nielsen was the losing pitcher for Palm Beach.
The series continues on Friday night at Charlotte Sports Park. German Marquez (0-0, 7.00) will get the ball for the Stone Crabs against Corey Littrell (0-2, 6.00) for Palm Beach.
- Kean Wong (2B): 0 for 4 with a run scored
- James Loney (DH): 1 for 4 with a double
- Willy Adames (SS): 0 for 4
- Jake Bauers (1B): 1 for 2 with 2 walks
- Joey Rickard (LF): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 0 for 2 with a walk
- Juniel Querecuto (3B): 0 for 2 with a walk
- Marty Gantt (LF): 2 for 3
- Braxton Lee (CF): 0 for 3
- Jacob Faria (Win, 3-0): 6 scoreless innings with 3 hits, 4 strikeouts and 2 walks
- Steve Ascher (Hold, 1): 2 scoreless innings with 2 hits, 1 strikeout and 1 walk
- Brad Schreiber (Save, 3) 1 scoreless innings with a hit, 1 strikeout and 1 walk