Despite a six run inning to set the temp of the game, the Stone Crabs were unable to hold off a late rally as they fell to the Bradenton Marauder 7-6 in the series finale on Wednesday night at Charlotte Sports Park.
The Stone Crabs took the lead in a wild six run second inning. They loaded the bases on a single by Yoel Araujo and Mike Marjama and a walk to Braxton Lee. Juniel Querecuto then delivered a pinch hit double to center that scored two runs. After a pitching change, the Stone Crabs went back to work with Willy Adames taking the offering over the wall for a three run homer. Jake Bauers followed with a solo home run to give the Stone Crabs a 6-0 lead.
Following the back to back homers, Marauders pitcher Andy Otamendi threw behind Joey Rickard and was tossed by home plate umpire Kirk Struble. After appealing the ejection, manager Michael Ryan found himself ejected as well.
But the incident sparked the Marauders as from that point on, they did not surrender a run, giving their offense a chance to catch up.
Bradenton scored four runs in the fourth. They loaded the bases and then had RBI singles by Edwin Espinal, Wyatt Mathisen and Junior Sosa to make it 6-4.
They the Marauders had a two homer inning of their own in the seventh. A two run homer by Erich Weiss and a solo home run by Espinal gave them a 7-6 lead.
But with the way the Marauders bullpen was dominating the hitters, the Stone Crabs could not recover as they fell 7-6 in the finale, snapping the five game losing streak.
Brad Schreiber was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs. Clario Perez was the winning pitcher for Bradenton.
The Stone Crabs lost Andrew Velazquez in the third inning after being removed from the game with a shoulder injury during his second plate appearance.
The Stone Crabs return home to Charlotte Sports Park for a three game series against the Palm Beach Cardinals on Thursday.
- Andrew Velazquez (3B): 1 for 1 with a double
- Juniel Querecuto (PH-3B): 1 for 4 with a double, 3 RBI’s and run scored
- Kean Wong (2B): 1 for 4 with a walk
- Willy Adames (SS): 1 for 5 with a home run and 3 RBI’s
- Jake Bauers (1B): 1 for 5 with a home run
- Joey Rickard (LF): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Armando Araiza (C): 1 for 4
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Mike Marjama (DH): 2 for 3 with a run scored
- Braxton Lee (CF): 0 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Chris Kirsch: 4 runs on 6 hits with 3 strikeouts and 2 walks in 3 1/3 innings
- Jeff Ames: 2 runs on 2 hits with 1 strikeout and 3 walks in 3 innings
- Brad Schreiber (Loss, 0-1): 1 run on 1 hit with a strikeout in 2/3 inning
- Justin McCalvin: 1 scoreless inning with a hit and a strikeout