The game remained close much of the night until the Stone Crabs distanced themselves with a four run ninth inning to beat the Bradenton Marauders 8-3 on Tuesday night at McKechnie Field. Every Stone Crabs hitter collected a hit to help steer them to their fifth straight victory.
The Stone Crabs took the lead first by scoring in the top of the second inning. Marty Gantt drew a two out walk to get things going. He then scored on an RBI double by Armando Araiza to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
Brandenton bounced back to take the lead in the bottom of the second. An RBI single by Jin-De Jhang and a ground ball by Edwin Espinal gave the Marauders a 2-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs tied the game an inning later. Juniel Querecuto doubled to center to lead off the inning. He would later score on a ground ball by Kean Wong to tie the game 2-2.
The game would remain tied until the top of the seventh inning when the Stone Crabs would strike for a pair of runs. A two run double by Maxx Tissenbaum would score Wong and Bauers to give the Stone Crabs a 4-2 lead.
Bradenton would get back a run in the bottom of the seventh. An RBI single by Jhang brought them to within a run of the lead.
But that would as close as it would get because the Stone Crabs offense struck for four runs in the top of the ninth to put the game out of reach. They loaded the bases on singles by Lee, Wong and Bauers. Tissenbaum and Marty Gantt each drew bases loaded walks to plate a run while two home runs would come home on a single by Yoel Araujo to give the Stone Crabs an 8-3 victory.
Buddy Borden picked up his second win of the season. Brett McKinney was charged with the loss for Bradenton.
The Stone Crabs look to pick up their second series sweep in the series finale on Wednesday at McKechnie Field. It will be a battle of the southpaws as Chris Kirsch (1-0, 1.69) take on fellow lefty Steven Brault (0-0, 5.40)
- Braxton Lee (CF): 3 for 4 with a walk and a run scored
- Kean Wong (2B): 1 for 5 with an RBI and 2 runs scored
- Willy Adames (SS): 1 for 5
- Jake Bauers (DH): 2 for 4 with a walk and 2 runs scored
- Maxx Tissenbaum (DH): 1 for 4 with a double, 3 RBI’s and a run scored
- Marty Gantt (LF): 2 for 3 with an RBI and a run scored
- Armando Araiza (C): 1 for 5 with a double and an RBI
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 2 for 5 with 2 RBI’s
- Juniel Querecuto (3B): 2 for 5 with a double and a run scored
- Ryne Stanek: 2 runs on 3 hits with a strikeout and a walk in 5 innings
- Buddy Borden (Win, 2-0): 1 run on 2 hits with 3 strikeouts and a walk in 3 innings
- Josh Kimborowicz: 1 perfect frame