The Stone Crabs have extended their winning streak to four games after taking the series opener against the Bradenton Marauders by the score of 6-2 on Monday night at McKechnie Field.
First pitch was delayed by a half-hour due to rain but when play began it was the Stone Crabs jumping out to an early lead. Jake Bauers took an offering deep over the right center wall to lead of the second and give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added to the lead in the top of the fifth. Yoel Araujo was hit by a pitch and Braxton Lee singled to left to put two runners on the bases. Kean Wong would drive them both home with a single to right to increase the lead to 3-0.
The Stone Crabs put three more runs on the scoreboard in the seventh. They loaded the bases on back to back singled by Araujo and Lee followed by a walk issued to Andrew Velazquez. A wild pitch would score Araujo for the first run of the inning. Then Joey Rickard singled to right, scoring Lee and Velazquez to make it 6-0.
Bradenton broke up the shut-out by scoring in the bottom of the seventh. RBI singles by JaCoby Jones and Erich Weiss put the Marauders on the board. But the Stone Crabs held them to just two runs as they cruised to a 6-2 win.
Steve Ascher picked up the win in his Stone Crabs debut while Isaac Gil recorded the save. Felipe Gonzalez was the losing pitcher for Bradenton.
The Stone Crabs will take on the Marauders again on Tuesday night at McKechnie Field. Ryne Stanek (0-2, 2.79) will face Frank Duncan (1-0, 0.90) in game two of the three game series.
- Andrew Velazquez (SS): 0 for 4 with a walk and a run scored
- Kean Wong (2B): 1 for 5 with 2 RBI’s
- Joey Rickard (LF): 1 for 3 with a walk and 2 RBI’s
- Jake Bauers (DH): 1 for 3 with a home run and a walk
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 1 for 4
- Juniel Querecuto (3B): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Alexander Simon (1B): 0 for 4
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 1 for 3 with 2 runs scored
- Braxton Lee (CF): 2 for 4 with 2 runs scored
- Blake Snell: 4 scoreless innings with 3 strikeouts, 4 hits and 5 walks
- Steve Ascher (Win, 1-0): 2 runs on 4 hits with a strikeout and a walk in 2 2/3 innings
- Isaac Gil (Save, 1): 2 1/3 scoreless innings with 2 hits and 2 strikeouts