The Stone Crabs trailed much of the afternoon, but a six run eighth inning help propel them to a 7-6 win on Sunday afternoon at Roger Dean Stadium. The win gave the Stone Crabs their first series sweep of the season.
The Stone Crabs jumped out to an early lead by scoring in the first inning. Andrew Velazquez singled to right to lead off the game. He later scored on a sac fly by Willy Adames to make it 1-0.
Palm Beach answered in the bottom of the first. A two run shot by Mason Katz gave the Cardinals a 2-1 lead.
Palm Beach added to their lead in the second inning. Three straight singles resulted in a run scoring and the Cardinals increasing their lead to 3-1.
The Cardinals picked up another run in the fifth. CJ McElroy opened the inning with a triple to right and later scored to make it 4-1.
Palm Beach collected two more runs in the seventh. An RBI triple by Brett Wiley plated the first run of the inning and the second came on a wild pitch to give Palm Beach a 6-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs rallied in the eighth inning. Velazquez singled to center followed by a walk to Adames to get things started. Jake Bauers then drove them home with a triple to right. Then they loaded the bases following a walk by Joey Rickard and Juniel Querecuto being hit by pitch. Marty Gantt drew a bases loaded walk to score Bauers. Armando Araiza followed with another bases loaded walk that scored Rickard. Then two more runs came on a single by Braxton Lee to give the Stone Crabs a 7-6 lead.
Brad Schreiber and the Stone Crabs kept Palm Beach off the board in the bottom of the ninth to secure the 7-6 victory.
Jeff Ames picked up the win and Schreiber notched the save. Chris Perry was the losing pitcher for Palm Beach.
The Stone Crabs head to Bradenton for the final leg of their road trip as they face the Bradenton Marauders on Monday night at McKechnie Field. Blake Snell (2-0, 0.00) will start the opener against Felipe Gonzalez (0-1, 3.27) for Bradenton.
- Andrew Velazquez (SS): 3 for 5 with 2 runs scored
- Kean Wong (2B): 2 for 4
- Willy Adames (DH): 1 for 3 with an RBI and a run scored
- Jake Bauers (1B): 1 for 5 with a triple, 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Joey Rickard (RF): 0 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Juniel Querecuto (3B): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Marty Gantt (LF): 0 for 2 with 2 walks, an RBI and a run scored
- Armando Araiza (C): 1 for 3 with an RBI and a walk
- Braxton Lee (CF): 2 for 4 with 2 RBI’s
- German Marquez: 4 runs on 7 hits with 6 strikeouts in 5 innings
- Jeff Ames (Win, 1-0): 2 runs on 3 hits with 2 strikeouts and 2 walks
- Nick Sawyer (Hold, 1): 1 hit and 1 strikeout in 2/3 inning
- Brad Schreiber (Save, 2): 1 1/3 no-hit inning with a walk and 4 strikeouts