The Stone Crabs perfect home streak was in jeopardy on Monday night, but they rallied in the bottom of the ninth to beat the Daytona Tortugas 6-5 on Monday night at Charlotte Sports Park.
The Stone Crabs got on the board first, scoring four runs in the bottom of the third inning. Braxton Lee singled to center to put a runner on the bases. Lee stole second and then moved to third on a wild pitch. An RBI single by Kean Wong scored Lee to break the scoreless tie. After a walk to Willy Adames, Jake Bauers cleared the bases with a three run homer to put the Stone Crabs in front 4-0.
But the Tortugas answered in the top of the fourth. They matched the Stone Crabs four runs and added a go-ahead run to take a 5-4 lead.
The Stone Crabs tied the game again in the fifth inning. Andrew Velazquez singled to left and later scored on an RBI double by Willy Adames to tie the game at 5-5.
Both club’s bullpens matched scoreless frames until the home half of the ninth inning. Yoel Araujo singled to lead off the inning. Juniel Querecuto moved him into scoring position with a sac bunt. Then a wild pitch on the intentional walk to Armando Araiza moved Querecuto to just 90 feet from home. The Stone Crabs loaded the bases following a walk to Braxton Lee. With the bases loaded, Velazquez singled to right to score Querecuto and give the Stone Crabs a 6-5 walk-off win.
Buddy Borden picked up the win and Nolan Becker was charged with the loss.
The Stone Crabs are back out on the field at Charlotte Sports Park for a special 10am start against the Daytona Tortugas on Tuesday. Drew Smyly (0-0, 0.00) is scheduled to make his second rehab start for the Stone Crabs against Nick Travieso (1-0, 1.35) for Daytona.
- Andrew Velazquez (SS): for 5 with an RBI and a run scored
- Kean Wong (2B): 1 for 4 with an RBI, run scored and a stolen base
- Willy Adames (DH): 1 for 3 with a double, RBI, run scored and a stolen base
- Jake Bauers (1B): 1 for 3 with a 3-run home run
- Joey Rickard (LF): 2 for 4
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Juniel Querecuto (3B): 0 for 3
- Armando Araiza (C): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Braxton Lee (CF): 1 for 3 with a walk, a run scored and a stolen base
- German Marquez: 5 runs, 3 earned on 4 hits with 2 walks and a strikeout in 4 innings
- Brad Schreiber: 2 no-hit innings with 3 strikeouts
- Buddy Borden (Win, 1-0): 3 scoreless innings with 2 hits and 3 strikeouts