For the second time, fans at Charlotte Sports Park were treated to a great pitching performance at the hands of the Rays Drew Smyly and the Stone Crabs ace Blake Snell. The pair of lefties combined for 8 innings of scoreless ball to lead the Stone Crabs to a 2-0 won over the Daytona Tortugas on Tuesday morning.
The Stone Crabs wasted no time taking the lead, scoring in the first inning. Last night’s hero Andrew Velazquez singled to left to lead off the inning. He would later score on an RBI single by Joey Rickard to take the lead 1-0.
The Stone Crabs added to their lead in the third inning. Armando Araiza opened up the frame with a double to left. Then Braxton Lee laid down a perfect bunt single, moving Araiza to third. But on the play, the throw sailed past the first baseman to score Araiza to give the Stone Crabs a 2-0 lead.
From that point, it became a pitching duel with both clubs exchanging zeroes for the final six frame. But when it was over, it was the Stone Crabs standing victorious by the score of 2-0.
The Stone Crabs pitchers combined for 13 strikeouts on the afternoon. Snell picked up the win and improved to 2-0. Nick Sawyer pitched a perfect ninth to notch his first save of the year. Nick Travieso suffered the loss for Daytona.
The series now shifts to Daytona for the final two games of the series. Ryne Stanek (0-1, 3.60) will be on the mound for the Stone Crabs against Sal Romano (0-1, 13.50) for Daytona.
- Andrew Velazquez (SS): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Kean Wong (2B): 0 for 4
- Joey Rickard (LF): 1 for 3 with an RBI
- Jake Bauers (1B): 0 for with a walk
- Maxx Tissenbaum (DH): 0 for 1 with 2 walks
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 0 for 3
- Juniel Querecuto (3B): 1 for 3
- Armando Araiza (C): 1 for 3 with a double and a run scored
- Braxton Lee (CF): 1 for 3
- Drew Smyly: 3 scoreless innings with 4 strikeouts and 1 hit
- Blake Snell (Win, 2-0): 5 scoreless innings with 1 hit, 8 strikeouts and 2 walks
- Nick Sawyer (Save, 1): 1 perfect inning with 1 strikeouts