The Stone Crabs surrendered an early lead and lost in extra innings on Saturday evening at CenturyLink Sports Complex. The Crabs watched their lead disappear in the home half of the ninth and then suffered a walk-off loss in the eleventh.
The Stone Crabs sent the rehabbing Alex Colome to the hill to start the game. He would give the Stone Crabs three scoreless innings, giving the offense the opportunity to build a lead.
The Stone Crabs capitalized on some pitching miscues in the second to take the lead. Joey Rickard was hit by a pitch to put a runner on the bases. Yoel Araujo followed with a double to center, moving Rickard to third. Both runners advanced on a ball allow Rickard to score. Araujo scored on a wild pitch to give the Stone Crabs a 2-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added to their lead in the sixth inning. Andrew Velazquez singled to right to lead off the frame. He advanced to third on back to back ground outs. A single by Rickard would score Velazquez and increase the lead to 3-0.
Fort Myers got on the scoreboard in the seventh inning. Chad Christensen opened the frame with a double to right field. He would later score on a single by Engelb Vielma to make it 3-1.
The Miracle tied the game in the bottom of the ninth. A two run homer by Marcus Knecht would tie the game and force extra innings.
Fort Myers would push across the game winning run in the bottom of the eleventh. Once again it was Marcus Knecht getting the job done. He singled to left to put the winning run on the bases. After a single by Vielma and a walk to Niko Goodrum, the Miracle had bases loaded with one out. Knecht would then score on an infield single by Alex Swim to hand the Stone Crabs a 4-3 loss.
Isaac Gil suffered the loss for the Stone Crabs. Madison Boer was the winning pitcher for Fort Myers.
The series concludes on Sunday afternoon at Charlotte Sports Park. Jacob Faria (0-0, 0.00) will start the series finale for the Stone Crabs against Ethan Midren (0-0, 0.00) for Fort Myers.
- Michael Velazquez (2B): 2 for 4 with a walk and a run scored
- Kean Wong (DH): 0 for 5
- Willy Adames (SS): 0 for 5
- Jake Bauers (1B): 0 for 4
- Joey Rickard (CF): 2 for 3 with an RBI and a run scored
- Yoel Araujo (RF): 1 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Armando Araiza (C): 1 for 4
- Juniel Querecuto (3B): 1 for 4
- Marty Gantt (LF): 0 for 4
- Alex Colome: 3 scoreless innings with 3 hits and a strikeout
- Chris Kirsch: 1 run on 2 hits with 3 strikeouts and 3 walks in 4 2/3 innings
- Josh Kimborowicz (Hold, 1): 1/3 inning
- Justin McCalvin (Blown Save, 1): 2 runs on 2 hits with 3 walks and 2 strikeouts in 2 innings
- Isaac Gil (Loss, 0-1): 1 run on 3 hits and a walk in 1/3 inning