The GCL Rays dug a hole early and never recovered as the fell to the GCL Orioles 12-3 on Friday at Charlotte Sports Park. After giving up seven runs in the first inning, the Rays were held off the scoreboard until the bottom of the ninth inning. The loss was the team’s sixth straight loss and has dropped them into third place in the division.
The Orioles came out of the gate running by scoring seven runs in the first inning. They sent 12 hitters to the plate who collected 6 hits and 2 walks to make it 7-0.
The Orioles added a pair of runs in the fifth and three more in the seventh inning to give them a 12-0 lead.
The Rays avoided the shut-out by scoring three runs in the bottom of the ninth. Bill Pujols delivered a solo home run to lead off the inning. Mark Clark then drew a walk and later scored on an RBI triple by Andrew Toles. Toles would score on a sac fly by David Rodriguez. But it was too little too late as the Ray fell 12-3
Brock Burke was charged with the loss.
The Rays travel to Sarasota to face the GCL Orioles in their final meeting of the season.
- Oscar Sanay (DH): 0 for 2
- Mark Clark (PH-DH): 0 for 1 with a walk and a run scored
- Zacrey Law (CF): 0 for 4
- Andrew Toles (CF): 2 for 5 with a triple, RBI and a run scored
- David Rodriguez (C): 0 for 3 with an RBI
- Matt Reida (2B): 1 for 3
- Cade Gotta (RF): 0 for 2
- Chris DeMorais (PH-RF): 1 for 3
- Matt Ford (SS): 1 for 4
- Josh Rapacz (1B): 0 for 4
- Bill Pujols (3B): 2 for 3 with a home run
- Brock Burke (Loss, 0-3): 7 runs on 5 hits with 2 walks in 1/3 inning
- Tommy Lawrence: 2 runs on 5 hits with a strikeout in 4 2/3 innings
- Blake Bivens: 3 runs on 5 hits with a walk in 1 inning
- Christopher Crisostomo: 3 scoreless innings with 2 hits, 5 strikeouts and a walk