The GCL Rays were swept by the GCL Red Sox following a 8-3 loss on Thursday at Charlotte Sports Park. In an unusual turn of events for the Rays pitching staff, they walked nine hitters without recording a strikeout in the game.
The Red Sox took the lead in the first inning. Jeremy Rivera scored on a ground ball by Michael Chavis to give the Red Sox a 1-0 lead.
The Rays answered with a run of their own to tie the game in the bottom of the first. Zacrey Law drew a walk to lead off the inning. He later scored on a ground ball by Matt Reida to tie the game.
The Red Sox scored two more runs in the second, a run in the third and two more in the fourth to increase their lead to 6-1.
The Red Sox added another pair of runs to take a commanding 8-1 lead.
The Rays added a pair of runs in the bottom of the ninth. Cade Gotta was hit by a pitch. He advanced to third on a double by Jose Rojas. They both scored on a fielding error to make it 8-3. But they could not push across any more runs as they lost 8-3.
Jose Alvarado was the losing pitcher for the Rays.
Next up for the GCL Rays is the GCL Orioles with the first game on Friday at Charlotte Sports Park.
- Zacrey Law (CF): 0 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Oscar Saney (2B): 1 for 4
- Matt Reida (3B): 1 for 4 with an RBI
- Cade Gotta (CF): 0 for 1 with a walk and a run scored
- Jose Rojas (C): 1 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Matt Ford (SS): 0 for 4 with an RBI
- Isias Alcantar (1B): 0 for 4
- Mark Clark (DH): 0 for 3
- Jaime Ayende (RF): 1 for 3
- Jose Alvarado (Loss, 1-5): 3 runs on 3 hits with 4 walks in 2 innings
- Alberto Casanas: 3 runs on 4 hits with 2 walks in 4 innings
- Spencer Moran: 2 runs on 3 hits with 3 walks in 3 innings