The Stone Crabs held the lead much of the night, but they had to overcome a big eighth inning by their foe to win Tuesday’s game. But when it was said and done, it was the Stone Crabs heading to the locker rooms with an 11-8 win over the St Lucie Mets to ensure the series victory.
The Stone Crabs broke the scoreless tie by scoring three runs in the bottom of the third inning. Juniel Querecuto got things started with a single to left. He moved to third following a double by Tommy Coyle. Maxx Tissenbaum then got hit by a pitch to load the bases for the Stone Crabs. Two runs came following a double by Pat Leonard that bounced over the wall in left. Tissenbaum later scored on a ground ball by Tyler Goeddel to give the Stone Crabs a 3-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added to their lead in the fifth inning. Johnny Field tripled to right and later scored on an RBI single by Tissenbaum to increase to the lead to 4-0.
The Mets cut the lead in half by scoring a pair of runs in the sixth. Gavin Cecchini and Cole Frenzel each plated a run to make it 4-2.
The Stone Crabs sent the entire lineup to the plate in the bottom of the sixth inning to post four more runs to the scoreboard. An RBI single by Ariel Soriano, an RBI double by Coyle and a two run single by Leonard increased the Stone Crabs lead to 8-2.
St Lucie jumped all over the bullpen in the eighth inning. The batted around in the inning, collecting four hits and four walks, resulting in six runs and a tie ball game.
Determined to win the game, the Stone Crabs countered by scoring three runs in the bottom of the eighth. A single by Field, an intentional walk to Tissenbaum and a single by Leonard loaded the bases. Field scored the go ahead run and each runner advanced a base following a wild pitch. Graden Goetzman singled to left, scoring Tissenbaum and Leonard to give the Stone Crabs the 11-8 win over St Lucie.
Ryan Garton picked up the win for the Stone Crabs and Colton Reavis notched the save. Beck Wheeler was the losing pitcher for St Lucie.
The series concludes on Wednesday at Charlotte Sports Park. Austin Pruitt (9-5, 3.69) will start the finale against Matt Koch (7-4, 5.20) for St Lucie.
- Tommy Coyle (2B): 2 for 5 with a double, RBI and run scored
- Johnny Field (CF): 3 for 4 with a double, triple and 3 runs scored
- Maxx Tissenbaum (C): 1 for 3 with an RBI and 2 runs scored
- Pat Leonard (1B): 3 for 5 with a double, 4 RBI’s and a run scored
- Tyler Goeddel (3B): 0 for 5 with an RBI
- Marty Gantt (LF): 0 for 2 with 2 walks and a run scored
- Granden Goetzman (DH): 2 for 5 with 2 RBI’s
- Ariel Soriano (RF): 1 for 5 with an RBI and a run scored
- Juniel Querecuto (SS): 1 for 3 with a walk and 2 runs scored
- Reinaldo Lopez: 2 runs on 4 hits with 3 strikeouts and 2 walks in 5 2/3 innings
- Kevin Brandt: 1 1/3 scorless inning with a hit
- Nick Sawyer: 4 runs on 2 hits with 2 walks without recording an out
- Jose Molina: 2 runs on 2 hits and 2 walks without recording an out
- Ryan Garton (Win, 6-2): 1 no-hit inning
- Colton Reavis (Save, 6): 1 no-hit inning