The GCL Rays continue to struggle against the GCL Red Sox as they lost to them 6-3 on Wednesday. The Rays were held scoreless much of the afternoon before a three run ninth helped them avoid a shut-out.
The Red Sox took the lead in the second inning. Luis Alexander Basbe scored on an error and Victor Acosta scored on a ground ball by Rafael Oliveras to make it 2-0.
The Red Sox added two more in the sixth. An RBI single by Basbe and an RBI double by Acosta increased the lead to 4-0.
The Red Sox added another pair of runs in the eighth inning to give them a 6-0 lead.
The Rays avoided the shut-out by pushing across three runs in the ninth. Zacrey Law doubled to left to lead off the inning. Matt Reida followed with an RBI double to score Law and put the Rays on the scoreboard. Reida later scored on a single by Christian Knott. A throwing error would allow Knott to score to cut the lead in half.
But the Rays could not overcome the deficit as they lost 6-3.
Henry Centeno suffered the loss for the Rays.
The series returns to Charlotte Sports Park for the finale on Thursday.
- Zacrey Law (CF): 2 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Matt Reida (3B): 2 for 3 with 2 doubles, 1 RBI and a run scored
- David Rodrigiez (C): 0 for 4
- Andrew Toles (DH): 0 for 4
- Christian Knott (RF): 2 for 4 with a double, RBI and a run scored
- Bill Pujols (2B): 0 for 4
- Matt Ford (SS): 1 for 3
- Oscar Sanay (PF): 0 for 1
- Josh Rapacz (1B): 0 for 3
- Chris DeMorais (LF): 0 for 3
- Henry Centeno (Loss, 4-2): 2 unearned runs on 1 hit with 5 strikeouts in 5 innings
- Orlando Romero: 2 run on 3 hits with 3 strikeouts and a walk in 1 2/3 innings
- Michael Velasquez: 2 runs in 4 hits with 2 strikeouts in 1 1/3 innings