The GCL Rays have lost their third straight game following a 5-4 loss to the GCL Red Sox on Tuesday at Charlotte Sports Park. The loss further distances them from the leading Red Sox as they have now lost the last six matchups against them.
The Red Sox scored the first run of the afternoon in the first inning. Javier Guerra tripled to right and later scored on an RBI single by Rafael Devers to give them a 1-0 lead.
The Rays tied the game in the bottom of the inning. Zacrey Law hit a two out triple to center to put a runner in scoring positon. He then scored on an RBI single by David Rodriguez to tie the game.
The Red Sox scored a pair of runs in the second to regain the lead. Victor Acosta had a two run homer to give the Red Sox a 3-1 lead.
The Rays pulled to within a run of the lead in the fourth inning. Isias Alcantar reached on an error to lead off the inning. He advanced to third on a double by Jose Rojas. Alcantar scored on a ground ball by Matt Reida to make it 3-2.
The Red Sox distanced themselves in the top of the ninth inning. A two run home run by Derek Miller gave the Red Sox a 5-2 lead.
The Rays rallied in the bottom of the ninth. Rojas and Reida each singled to lead off the inning. Matt Ford drove home Rojas with a single to right. Reida later scored on a double by Cade Gotta. But the Rays stranded the tying and go ahead runs on the bases as they fell 5-4.
Deivy Mendez suffered the loss for the Rays.
Rays first baseman Alcantar left the game in the eighth with a leg injury.
The series moves to Fort Myers for the third game of the four game series.
- Oscar Sanay (2B): 2 for 4 with a double
- Matt Ford (PR-SS): 1 for 1 with an RBI
- Andrew Toles (CF): 0 for 3
- Cade Gotta (CF): 1 for 2 with a double
- Zacrey Law (LF): 2 for 4 with a triple and a run scored
- Bill Pujols (SS-2B): 0 for 5
- Isias Alcantar (1B): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Josh Rapacz (1B): defensive substitution in the ninth
- Jose Rojas (C): 2 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Matt Reida (3B): 1 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored
- Jaime Ayende (RF): 0 for 4
- Eduar Quinonez: 1 run on 2 hits with 2 strikeouts in 1 inning
- Deivy Mendez (Loss, 1-5): 2 runs on 5 hits with 5 strikeouts and 2 walks in 4 innings
- Abrahan Rodriguez: 2 scoreless innings with 1 hit
- Luis Nunez: 2 runs on 2 hits with a strikeout and a walk in 2 innings